Slalom timing: old school way

Bill22

• Baller

I know many of you have zero off and have moved on but....

I need to check my boat speed with a stop watch the old fashion way. I found the timing cart at USA waterski.

Are the times below from gate to gate? We don't have pre-gates on our portable course.

https://www.usawaterski.org/pages/divisions/3event/AllBuoyTimingChart.htm

30.4mph = 19.03 sec

32.3mph = 17.93 sec

34.2mph = 16.95 sec

The time that looked odd to me was the time for score: 0-0.5

• Baller

The 0-0.5 means if the score (per 6 buoys) is 0 or 1/2 a buoy use this time (this is part of all buoy timing) . Assuming you are using the times for practice, maybe you just want 3rd buoy and end course.

That's your time from the entrance gate to the first buoy boat guides.

• Baller_
@Bill22: while you are going through the checks, note the engine rpm's as an added reference and tool to recalibrate when needed. The other option if you have access is a cheap hand held GPS or if you phone has it. Make sure your course is accurate before you use it as your calibration tool!

• Baller

Thanks guys. I was checking that the times are gate to gate (not pre-gate to pre-gate).

@DW we have been using gps on a cell or a Garmin. They help but they don't diplay a decimal point. 34mph could be 34.1 or 34.9? There is no way to know. I'm going to set my PP baseline RPM to get the times correct.

• Baller
I was thinking about this recently. Anyone remember being a "back up timer" in the old days?? Not the guy hanging over the side of the the boat, but the guy in the judges tower timing it from 1000' away in case the boat timer "missed" the time. Seems very funny now.