Reflex plate too big?

Ilivetoski

• Baller
I got my reflex bindings in the mail today and went out to use them. 1st pass- out the front. 2nd pass- out the front 3rd pass- out the front. Tightend the release each time. When I got back on the dock we started playing with the front boot, and we could take our hands using minimal force and bring the front of the boot outside of the toe piece (horizontally... it moves way too easy). Also on the dock one of the guys skiing commented that the back piece looked really loose when it was locked down. Anyone know how to check the size of the plate? I looked at the bottom of it and there is no sizing.

• Baller

not enough information.

if it's a Reflex plate there will be specific holes to use for the toebar correlating with shell size. Some plates have hole choices for the Silvretta release bracket. Follow the instructions carefully with regard to placing these in the right holes. Double check the shell size.

Sometimes the hinge screws on the aluminum blocks are best moved to the forward hole if the release bracket is not snug.

Most of all you should perform dry-land (platform) test releases before skiing. It should pop-out only with reasonable flexion force.

• Baller
No, @Ilivetoski yours would very likely have 3 sets of holes for the toe loop. The xl plate has only 1 set of holes. @Gloersen is correct as well though, there are holes in the rear for your release mechanism hinge. Your problem sounds more like the plate being for the size 12 boots though

• Baller
@aupatking , so you're saying that for instance, a size ten boot could be on a XL plat that would also fit a size 12 boot.. ( just examples) what size boot go on which. The distance from the front toe loop to where the release mechanism bolts down has to be pretty precision I would think. Too short and you get no release, too long and you get what @Ilivetoski got tonight -- prereleases and pain. Can someone who has size ten boot measure from the toe loop to front holes of the release. We think he got either a inaccurately drilled plate or a plate for a larger size boot.

• Baller

@Ilivetoski , I bet. I'd be super ready to have the right plate. Might be a bit pissed too. I guess it's an honest mistake, but so is putting 3 wheels back on your car at the tire shop.

I'm fairly certain you'll like what you've got when you get the right stuff.

Do not put it on and go! Dry land test first, my 4 setting feels like my buddy's 7.

• Baller
@ilivetoski is there only one set of holes for the release? I have older Reflex stuff but they all have multiple holes for the release in the rear. If I don't get the spacing right the binding will pre-release

I feel like this may have already been stated somewhere in this thread, but, if your plate has only one set of holes for the release and one set of holes for the toe loop, then you have a plate that is set up for a 12 shell. I'm going to assume that the plate in question is a carbon plate? Reflex (for reasons I'll never understand) only makes one plate for the 12 shell and it's carbon. It sounds to me like whoever sent you this set up mistakenly grabbed the wrong plate. When you change it out for the correct plate I strongly recommend that you get their high density composite plate. It's as light as the carbon plate, cheaper than the carbon plate and more durable than the carbon plate.

As a side note, if there is anyone out there that knows of someone that can find, make or steal me an aluminum plate that will fit my 12 shell, please let me know.

• Baller
@Ilivetoski I'm talking about a different set of holes for the hinge to swivel in. I understand that there are no additional holes in the plate to move the hinge, but the small aluminum block that mounts to the plate has another set of holes in it. At least that is what I had to do to my daughter's setup to prevent it from pre-releasing.

• Baller

The problem seems to be an incorrect plate.

@ricski39 Careful of the aluminum plate. It can bend permanently under heavy load. That can change release characteristics. Perhaps the aluminum plate is not available for the big sizes because of bending issues with the leverages a bigger foot generates. Mike Erb makes G10 plates - maybe he can help you.

The Reflex toe horseshoe is a weak link in the system. FM's toe piece might be better - check that out. Lots of mods to the horseshoe are seen. Big fender washers to spread out the load and keep from flexing or bending the plate. Homemade welded and reinforced horseshoes. The newest Reflex horseshoes are better but still lack a fine adjust.

Lots of people fine adjust by wrapping some tape around the horseshoe. Or fuel line to make a gross adjustment. Check your boot/horseshoe interface to make sure you have the right horseshoe fitting properly.

Reflex is getting better - these were early fixes. A modern properly fitted and set up Reflex should be great. Most people on Reflex are very happy with the system.

Eric