marine starters

brody

• Baller
The starter on my Malibu is going. I know they are sealed units. So my question is, can they be re-built at a shop, or would they not be able to seal the unit after. If I have to buy one I will, but hoping o save a few bucks!

• Baller
I don't think they are really sealed any differently. My understanding is they are just built with screens, brass terminals instead of copper, rubberized coils, and usually painted on the inside and out. Basically it's a bunch of stuff to help prevent sparks in the event of some kind of failure. A starter rebuild shop should be able to rebuild it but I'd call for a quote first....might not save that much money if they have order special one-off parts as a substantial premium.

• Baller

My 21 years old starter was rebuilt twice by a good car starter and alternator shop.

No problems for them to replace any parts or work on them.

And way cheaper then a new one...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller_
As long as the rebuilder re-works the starter to marine specifications there is not an issue. I looked into having a rebuilder here in PC but cost wise I can sell a new one for the price of a rebuild and stand behind it. Unless your starter is a very old NLA unit the best bang for the buck is buying new, lessen's the chance of more failure.

• Baller

After replacing a couple of marine grade starters, I took someone's advice and went to Autozone and bought a lifetime warranty standard starter for about $39. I think I've replaced that one twice in maybe 12 years. It's a 5 minute job and Autozone swapped it for free.

Maybe there is a reason that this is stupid, but I never had problems.

• Baller

Clearly, every automotive starter installed in a boat has not led to an explosion. Every automotive starter that has led to an explosion that was installed by a shop has led to a lawsuit - so @Jody_Seal had better not be using automotive parts.

With that said, if you are using an automotive fuel pump which vents to the bilge, an automotive starter which sparks a bit more, ignore the bilge blower and have a couple other sketchy things under the engine cover, you can easily destroy your boat. Using the right parts is the best protection. And really not that much more expensive.

That Autozone starter or the one you borrowed from the truck after you launched might allow you to ski that day but you are accepting a higher risk. If you must use automotive parts, figure out what the marine differences are and see if you can convert to the marine version (easy with carbs, tougher with starters and very difficult with fuel pumps).

Newer boats are pretty part specific - you are way ahead to order the proper part number. @Jody_Seal treats us pretty well (as do many others) so you'll be back on the water faster and cheaper with the right parts.

Even marine parts can allow some sparking and cause fires in poorly maintained bilges that are laden with fuel. You need to be a bit aware of what is going on in your boat just to protect yourself.

Drive carefully to the lake as that is probably the riskiest activity. But not as risky as being too afraid to go out and do things so you end up sitting on the couch having a heart attack.

Eric

• Baller
Tx for the input guys, I found a shop locally that does marine starters so I should be good, they told me will be between 60-140 can so I will save vs buying a rebuild from the usa