Reduce rooster tail behind '80s Malibu Skier?

TallSkinnyGuy

• Baller

I ski 15 off behind my '97 MC 190, a friend's '98 Ski Nautique, another friend's '81 Nautique and another friend's '80s Malibu Skier. My boat and the '98 Nautique are great to ski behind. The '81 Nautique has a firm wake but not much rooster tail. The only boat I can currently ski behind in a course is the Malibu Skier (it's on a private community lake).

That Malibu Skier has a huge rooster tail that feels like someone is blasting a fire hose at my shins at 15 off. I haven't yet tried 22 off, but the rooster tail is even bigger there and will probably hit up to my thighs if I stand directly behind the boat. I can't image it being very nice to ski through.

Is this huge rooster tail common with this boat? Are there ways to reduce it? I would love to give my friend some ideas to reduce the rooster tail and make course skiing more pleasant for all of us.

Not much can be done. Adding surface area to the prop helps - a fresh Acme 3-blade keeps the pressure stream down a bit. Other boats have a trim tab over the prop area. If you get a Lenco setup you can adjust it to help a bit. However, these are just tweaks. Most is due to hull shape, shaft depth, shaft angle, prop DFT, and running attitude. Getting the rooster tail under control has been one of the main engineering feats of the last couple decades.

• Baller

I had an 89 skier for years. I don't recall 15 off being too bad, but 22 had a bump. Like most boats that age. 32+ mph and it gets better.

What speed are you skiing at?

I also made sure the boat was balanced. I had a 50 lb lead block if we only had one in the boat driving.

• Baller

I was skiing at 32 mph today and ran the course a few times at 15 off. You're right that at 15 off the rooster tail isn't too bad when skiing through it rather than just standing in it, but I foresee 22 off in my future this summer and started thinking about making it through that 2' tall rooster tail, which is the reason behind my post.

You're also right that the boat seems to be quite sensitive to balance. But I've only noticed that it affects the spray -- haven't noticed any change in the rooster tail due to balance.

• Baller_
Along the same lines as Steven Haines and Karl, make sure you minimize the weight at the transom. Light fuel load, no "stuff" laying around and remove the seat and any items not needed back there.