Waterski handle questions

SailorDave17

As I continue to update my equipment I run into more questions. ..I'm sure it's a matter of opinion, how does the difference in a curved or strait handle affect the waterski experience? All waterski handles on the market float correct? I noticed handles with a braided line running all the way up to the handle and then handles with what looks like a single plastic line running all the way up to the handle what difference does that make? Are there any other factors I should consider when purchasing a handle?

• Baller

@SailorDave17 +1 for MasterLine and InTow. Both are the actual manufacturers of the handles. You can call either/both and discuss with them, they are true experts who will help guide you. Both cost about the same, both high quality products. They both will then string up the exact handle that is best for you, only takes a couple days. At the tournaments it seems 90% of the skiers are on these two brands, mostly Masterline.

When I was having elbow issues I looked around at what everyone was using and the only consistent thing seemed to be total randomness. 12' or 13", bent or straight, spectra or polypro and particularly size seemed all personal preference. Almost all could say why they have the handle they had but that's just they have experience. But it all varied and conflicted. I'm sure you find that as helpful as I did, not.

So for what you asked, a straight up recommendation, get an InTow 13" spectra bent 1.03 or 1.062 with cross bar and no tubing. Great first handle. 13" gives you more room to grab, harder to miss. I never noticed a leverage difference between 12" and 13". Spectra because it is noticeably lighter, less wind resistance (things I didn't think mattered till I got one) and is more durable. Size 1.03 or 1.062 as that is not big or small, will work well and give you an specific idea for your next one. Bent as I believe it really helps prevent elbow tendonitis and better leverage. The In-Tow bend is mild and once my elbows got better I switched back to straight for a bit. I like the way my hands land with the bent better, feels more natural and seems better leverage. Cross bar as it's not noticeable and may save your life. Unlikely you will ever need it and debate if they do anything but I see no downside and huge potential upside so stick it on (#1 reason for InTow over Masterline).

• Baller
SailorDave17, all of the advice given so far is excellent. I'd add that you should try and determine what diameter is best for you as a lot of skiers tend to go with a thinner handle than 1.00". I had a few years with a lot of tendinitis problems in both elbows and the advice to go larger to avoid that is good to a point, but if the handle feels too thick, it probably is. When I went above a 1.062" (I think it was 1.075") the elbow pain got worse; my brother went smaller (0.97", or maybe it's even skinnier) and his elbow pain got better. My 1.095" handle went to a guy I ski with who has HUGE hands and he loved it. Find something that you can try for size, even if it isn't a ski handle to see if it feels like a comfortable diameter. (Almost felt the need to delete that last sentence, but will leave it in since everyone here keeps it clean :o .)

• Baller
The first things that I found myself looking at was straight versus bent. I like straight handles. That done, I realized I much prefer the 13 inch handle. I don't know why, I just do. Then I moved on to diameter. This one does effect hand/arm longevity. I have XL-XXL hands and in warm summer water, I want a large diameter handle, around 1.10 or slightly larger. Small diameter handles move in my hands more, tearing them apart when my hands are soft. Also, as several have said, diameter difference effects tendinitis. I haven't tried a spectra handle yet, but that's my next. And go with a handle guard. The In-Tow is a simple solution.

• Administrators

@TallSkinnyGuy the joke replies to your last post write themselves if you have a dirty mind (big hands / big feet....tripod. ...)

Terry is not as short as people think. He is not tall but his lack of height has been exaggerated. Close to 5'10 I believe. Short for a guy that gets deep 41 but not Peter Dinklage short.

A larger diameter handle will be easy on your hands but may make you work harder with your forearms. Smaller will tear your hands up.

Unless you are in XL gloves I recommend 1.00