Wake spins help

dropski

• Baller
I've recently started doing wake spins, and am looking for some advice on handle pass wake O's. I have down wrap O's well from outside the wake to in, but struggle a bit from inside to out. I'm sure I'll get it down very soon. It seems like I slide out when I go in to out. I also can do a WBB but not the reverse yet because I can't quite ride the reverse back wrap, very close to being able to ride it though. Handle pass wake O's I struggle with though. How do you guys teach them/do them? do I keep the handle in throughout the whole trick or let it out to start?

• Baller

With handle pass os, obviously surface os are a foundation trick. Make sure you are doing them smoothly and without a 'hitch' in the back position.

Start with knees bent and arms relaxed (outstretched with a small bend in them but held low at waist height, not shoulder height). Learn both in->out and outside the wake in. Start from only about a foot away from the wake and start your edge by dropping your hip in the direction you want to travel but keeping your shoulders level.

Next, it's 'pop, pull, pass'.

Wait until your ski releases from the wake (with a very slight leg extension - pop) and then pull the rope in to your hip. (If you are spinning to your left side, pull the rope into your right hip)

Pull the handle through to the small of your back keeping it right to your body.

Pass the handle and look for the boat to spot your landing.

Don't throw your shoulders around... Keep them upright and use the pull to your hip to spin you.

If you find you are sliding out on the landing try a shorter run-in and try to land with the ski on edge continuing in the direction you initiated the trick in.

Good luck.

• Baller

Welcome to the world of advanced tricks. (Newt from SDSU says to bend at the back and lean on the rope. Only take that advice if you are a college skier so he can beat you.)

WO is a fun trick. Impressive to the spectators. Wrapped, handoff or wrap in all are cool. Learn as many different ways as you can.

Too many skiers are timid in the approach to the trick. Especially the handoff. The WB with a continuous turn to the front is just a training crutch. Do that for the handle control and general comfort only.

WO is a power trick. As such, the easiest way to get power is to go against the grain or counterspin. Maybe not the easiest way to do the trick but easy to make it a big trick. To counterspin when going from right to left, you will turn clockwise. Make sure you get all the way over the wake before you start to rotate. And lead with your hips. Slow rotation as you float around. Give it a try to see if it works for you.

Regarding hand position, old school says "hands in". Nowadays we try to gain on the boat - even more than hands in. This is achieved by a smooth pull before the wake and through the trick. Stay level - you don't want to pull back to gain on the boat. I think about wrapping in and just passing the handle really late. Or gain enough on the boat that you actually do a wrap in (this is tough counterspun).

@bbirlew has good tips. I might try a couple of things differently if things are tough. First, land a bit short edging back to the wake you just crossed. You aren't spinning as far, you are going from edge to edge and you are saving time by edging to your next trick.

Another different thing to try is to keep your knees fairly straight. As you approach the wake load the front of the ski to let the wake do the work of popping you into the air by leverage. Whether or not you pop with your knees, your legs need to be straight in the air.

Finally, this trick is totally hip driven. Lead with your hips, not your shoulders. Sometimes spotting something behind you will slow down your upper body and let your hips lead. Frequently my shoulders and eyes are 90 degrees behind the ski - not optimal but if your eyes are 90 degrees ahead of your hips, you are probably going to fall. Lead with the hips and keep your core tight so everything moves as one.

Good luck and enjoy

Eric

• Baller
Thank @bbirlew @eleeski I just landed my first couple handle pass wake O's, started outside the wake on heel side. I focused on a gradual smooth pull and pulling the handle into my hip and I was surprised how good the spin felt in the air. Need to work on landing under control now. I Haven't tried toe side yet. Hopefully I'll be able to get all my wake spina down consistentlybefore collegiate skiing begins

• Baller

Spins are maybe not such a big deal now, with all the flips. But so impressive, such as the

720's. Back 30 years ago, I saw Cory execute a wake 900 back to front. Involving 2 handle

passes. Done at a Tour demonstration on the Lake Lanier stop.