Reflex 500 v 750

webbdawg99

• Baller

I currently have a Reflex 500 release mechanism that is approximately 5 years old. I'm starting to notice some wear and what could be described as premature releases. I see that it's suggested to replace the spring every couple of years, but I don't see where anything is available for the 500 mechanism, only the 750.

Is my only option to upgrade to the 750 system? What is the difference between the 500 and 750? Will a 500 shell work with a 750 release?

• Baller
I have the new 750 on my ski and my old 500 as a backup. Yes, your 500 shell will work on the 750 release. the 500 and 750 look exactly the same. The only difference that I can see is the 750 screw and spring are stainless.

• Baller
As I understand it Reflex bought the tooling for the 500 from Sivretta and have upgraded some parts to better suit waterskiing needs. They call it he 750. @webbdawg99 I would say yes that the 750 spring should work. I have some broken 404 releases if you absolutely need a spring. Not sure their condition but I could check.

• Baller
500 and 750 shell are the same. On the older 404 the cleat height and cleat size is different on the shell. The 404 releases therefore no good with new shell cleats and my understanding spring on 404 is different from 500/750. Bet the 750 spring kit ($20) works in the 500 (body seems to be the same) but would inquire with Reflex to be sure.

• Baller

Ask this dude, he seems to be fairly certain there is a difference. Maybe there is a difference in bracket length? As several have stated there is no difference in main housing and internals. Would be worth knowing anyway. I'm thinking he tried a short plate but uses size 12+ boots and thinks the 500 & 750 are incompatible.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Bindings&postid=33230

• Baller

CenturySprings.com part No 10416 it costs $4, you can buy 10 springs including shipping for $50.

Buy the screw and a quality spray paint at a hardware store.

Good luck with unscrewing the rusty bolt without damaging the nut and the aluminum parts that holds everything together. If you damage those parts your only option would be to buy a new release.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan it is not only about cost, stainless steel has different properties. You can not make a stainless spring of the same size and work the same as the steel one. Or if you make the arms of the release out of the same size of stainless steel it would easily bent.

I'm sure that there are parts that can be made out of stainless or carbon fiber though.

Another reason is that most shells are primarily made for inline skate and mechanical releases for alpine skiing where there is no need for rust proof materials.

I would be very happy to see bindings specifically made for waterskiing made out of composites and stainless steel.

• Supporting Member

@skialex All true. I guess I'm thinking more of the little bolts and fasteners that take very little load.

My experience has been that steel just rusts. It doesn't matter if it's "never" in the water, because our freakin' planet has so damn much water all over it -- including in the air. Probably most people are a lot more willing to treat their stuff carefully and think about humidity and such. I want to do nothing and have it last anyhow!

Carbon fiber is, of course, still very expensive. I think it would be very cool to make a lot of the OB4 system out of carbon fiber to dramatically reduce the weight, but I wouldn't want to see the price they'd have to charge to make a profit on THAT! Maybe someday.

Bit late to the party I know, but as a Reflex dealer I can confirm that the 500 and 750 are fully compatible. The internals, spring and screw can be added to the older 500 release with no issues (unless you let it rust in place!).

The 404 is a totally different story though.

• Baller
I really should upgrade the 404 stuff we have to the newer releases but I need 2 of them for my son one for his trick and one for his slalom. I still have a couple of lightly used 404 releases in the house so I will rotate those in and put it off for another year or two. Unfortunately I bought his stuff the year before they went to the 500.