tip rise end of turn

6balls

• Baller

Hello ballers,

Buddy took lots of still shots of my skiing a few days ago. I skied average for me mid 38. I was more than pleased with my stack like holy crap pleased...there were a bunch of magazine worthy shots in the lean but they followed some shots immediately prior where I looked bad.

Was happy wake to ball as well keeping handle long, elbow at my vest. At turn finish, my ski rears up momentarily caught in the still frames...virtually every time. It then comes down and the stack and ski attitude are spot on by the first wash. There is clearly some technique to hash in the stills coming into the ball so...

I know that the indian here has a problem and tends to get inside and low before the ball and rotate then onto the rear...bad lifelong habit that hasn't changed yet so I'm not hopeful.

What fin adjust may be helpful here to help slightly counter a bad habit? I can't really go shorter DFT it's reasonably far back. Bindings are far front on hole pattern. If I could save that little bit of time that my ski tip goes up, drops back to proper attitude and goes I think I could seriously pick up some ground like maybe purple becomes my friend rather than foe.

• Baller

theres 2 ways to ' counter ' into the turn -twist your outside hip back or drive your inside hip forward. the second way is better and if you can keep driving that hip till hook up the tip will stay down better. of course typing that is a lot easier than doing it.

in another vein will asher explains how he keeps his ski controlled through the turn in this older video - waterskimag.com/waterski-brand-channel/malibu-ski-boats/2010/02/04/inside-edge-will-ashers-world-class-course-technique/

• Baller
I don't have video n I think wud b less helpful it goes so fast in video I don't look so bad at the ball the stills made it obvious. On vacation now but will see if I can get a few bad shots followed by a reshuffle, find stack n go pics loaded. Fin is pretty far back @ms deeper?

• Baller
@horton -i agree completely which makes me wonder why some coach outside arm and shoulder back. i think that just leads to outside hip back as well but that shifts the weight toward tail. i find it hard to drive leading hip forward and around thru finish turn *and* get tip rise at the same time -which is why i brought it up.

• Baller

@Horton - "outside hip back is 'counter productive'. Puts you on your back foot. Less counter means less action when you untwist."

That's very interesting. I never thought of it that way. We hear so much about countering and finishing with your hips/shoulders open (ala, T.W. for instance), which I can see work well. It makes sense to me if you're going to counter out of the turn you would counter into the turn.

But I basically agree with your statement. I often to come into heelside (2-4) and 'coil up' by rotating to the left and pushing right shoulder forward. Makes me feel like "oh yeah, I'm about rotate and nail the $*#+ outta this 2-ball!". Next thing I know, yeah, I turned the $#!+ out of it, but finished deep, against the rope, and stalled out.

Skied with a well known coach/skier last year, and he told me "keep your head and ski pointed in the same direction". It seemed 'counter to the counter', but I didn't argue with him. When I was able to do it to his satisfaction (wasn't easy because it seemed so plain and counterintuitive), I always came out of the bouy not so deep and loaded and evidently in better position to carry optimal angle through the wakes.