Goode XT bubbling and cracking under binding? What does it mean??

MikeT

My Goode XT just developed a 3 inch section of bubbling and cracking under the front binding. Any thoughts if this is likely cosmetic or is this a sign of internal weakness. Is the ski breaking down? The ski is less than two years old. About 3 weeks before noticing the damage I began complaining that the ski felt slower and wasn't building speed across the wakes. My ski partner can attest to it. I don't make a judgment on a ski over a set or two. I checked the settings, tried 9 degrees from 10 degrees, moved the binding a little and it still feels the same. I got it fixed and it's still the same. Any thoughts or experiences to share

I didn't mean directly under the binding and on the top of the ski. it's on the bottom of the ski under the binding area. no interest in Flextail really. I'm not shelling out another $2K to Goode. My last 9800 failed as well. This ski was good and I want to get my moneys worth out of it.

Um on the bottom of the ski where it touches the water? Hmm post a pic and I will say if it looks like the water spots or not. Do you store it sitting g on a towel or carpet where that spot stays wet? Mine was very bubbled up as well. Looked bad.

• Baller

Epoxy and warm salty water don't go that well together. Wooden boat restorers avoid epoxy when laminating beams as it doesn't last. I made a pipe saddle for a well out of the same epoxy I make skis from and it didn't hold up well. Forget washing the ski, keep it as dry as possible. Still, I've never had that problem with a ski - even ones where I've messed up the resin/hardener mix.

I'd guess that the issues are mostly cosmetic and that the ski will perform like in the past when the water cools to the same temperature that you are used to. But it's time to buy a new ski - just for the fun of it.

Eric

• Baller

@MikeT sand the bubbles and respray the ski. I had the same thing closer to the fin area, fixed it 6 months ago, ski looks and skies like new.

For the bottom buy SEM Classic Coat Midnight Black and for the top I use SEM Low luster clear.

When you're ready wash the ski's bottom with green sponge and dish soap mildly from tip to tail and you're ready to go!

Good luck!

The people at Goode took care of the repair for me real quick. Out and back across the country in a week and a half. Just wondering was goes into causing such a thing and if the integrity of the ski is affected. I've been told it's ok. Thinking of safety

I'm no Goode Expert, and let along XT expert, but just yesterday, on the site where i ski here in Paris, a guy came back so pissed to the dock, his 1-year old XT just cracked in between both bindings. He cannot recall dropping it, or getting it hit / shocked / whatever. Simply skiing.

It really cracked on a ball 1 as the tip of the ski "bit" into the water to start carving, thus slowing down and it snapped and it looked like the tail just kinda went "past" the tip, a weird thing to see really. At first we couldn't figure out why he had fallen, until he came back to the dock..

I have no idea wether this is common or an isolated case, but just letting you know.

For the rest, I wouldn't be able to tell, so i'll let the guys who know better ;)