How to measure a "personal best"?

hemlock

• Baller

Just wondering how others consider runs for a personal best?

Let me give an example:

I start my set and run 6 balls at 15 off.

I drop the line to 22 off and run 3 balls, but miss 4.

I then attempt 22 off again, and make all 6 balls.

I drop the line to 28 off and make 2 balls.

I quit and go drink beer. My PB is 2 at 28off.

Is my personal best decided by my set? or by a simulated tournament score?

I've always done it by the set, so as long as I manage to make 6 balls during a run

for one set, then anything after that is considered to be a PB.

Of course, I could go and get 1 at 39.5 off and call that my PB, but because

I never ran 6 at 38 during that set, it will never count.

How to others measure their PB?

• Baller

I think most guys would agree with your logic that you need to run all 6 at one line length prior to setting a PB at the next. How many stabs you take at each line length in the process is really up to you and whatever you're comfortable with.

You'll find various opinions on this thread I'm guessing, but the beauty of a practice PB is it maybe shows your potential more than it shows the level you're at now. Set a practice PB (multiple attempts allowed), then try to ski consistently enough in the future to set it in a tournament. Or at the very least run down the line in practice to do it without missing any balls. Either way, have fun with it.

Bottom line…girls at the bar aren't really impressed with slalom scores and PBs, practice or tournament. It is what it is...

• Administrators

As long as you run the pass before I would count it and have beers.

If you do it in consecutive balls off the dock I would drink even more beers

If a sanctioned tournament drink all the beer you can find

• Baller

There are PBs and there are firsts. For me a real PB means I need to run down the line without missing. I have practice PBs and tournament PBs. Then there are firsts. For example for me my tournament PB is 4@35, practice PB is 5@35 and I have run 35 once after getting 5@35 off the dock and gotten 1@38.

For me running 35 for the first time was not quite as sweet as a tournament PB but it still warranted beers afterwards.

• Baller
@jdarwin not everyone skis tournaments. For those people they still should feel a sense of accomplishments for new accomplishments. For me a real PB is a tournament score but there are far more people that ski the course for the love of it vs those that ski in tournaments.