Fat guy ski setup from baseline

UWSkier

• Baller

As the title states, I'm not a lightweight at 6'5" 250-255 lbs depending on the day. I'm on a 69" Vapor running Radar-recommended numbers.

What are typical best practices for heavier guys on ski setup? I'm finding if I stand tall with my weight forward, I'm snap turning rather than making a nice controlled arc. I also get a lot of porpoising on the off-side unless I counter rotate to the point of it feeling extreme. If I ski somewhat squatted, I get more consistency, but what's the point of being 6'5" if you can't use it as an advantage? :)

• Baller

Moving fwd will help porpoising as noted by wtrskior. Would also slow the turns down a little.

If you don't like the bindings fwd for water break on ski, you could add a few thousandths of length. If it is still turning too fast, move the fin back a few thousandths.

• Baller

@UWSkier how much spacing? How big are your feet and what bindings?

I used to always have my boots as tight as possible but found a 1/4 to 1/3 inch spacing works way better for me.

I'd try them both fwd that should stop the porpoising offside. Rear binding will mostly affect onside turn but the spacing can have big affects overall. 1 thing at a time.

Try both bindings fwd and after that if you are having trouble initiating onside snug up the rear binding.

• Baller
I'm 6'3 240 and ski 34mph. On a good day I run a couple a 28off, most of time in the middle of 22off, or not. I'm on the 71" Senate and with the factory settings it felt like the ski would not turn on my offside and then all of the sudden hook up and turn too fast. I moved the front binding forward, fin forward and eventually got ride of the wing. Now the ski feels like it carry's speed through the turn and is consistent instead of just hooking up when I slow down to a certain point. I've only had about a dozen sets on the ski and still am not 100% comfortable with it though.

I am similar size and weight and ski on Radar skis. Every time I have moved the front binding forward one hole to get the ski to perform. I think the cutoff from stock to moving forward is in the 220-230 range. I don't know because it has been some years since I was 225.

• Baller

@MattCL I'm also on a 71" Senate. What bindings are you using and where does 1 hole forward measure? My XL HO front is all the way back at 32".

2016 Stock fin settings are 2.485, 6.87, .810. from Radar, but I just see new settings on Performance site with settings from Rini, Rossi & Wilson. Settings are for new Vapor and Senate. The print is difficult to read.

perfski.com/index.php/ski/slaloms/mens-slalom-skis/radar-2016-lithium-vapor-ski1.html#

Just getting consistent at 22'/32&34. Ski is fantastic and much faster than my previous 69" Senate C.

• Baller
I am 6' and between 220 and 230 and run mid 35 off. I am on a 68" Vapor right now but have been hurt so I haven't run as much as I want. I have run mid 35 off on a bunch of different skis and have always run standard numbers.

• Baller

big feet.. you may want them as close as you can get them, ie. toes touching the back of the front boot, but still move both plates up first and see what a happens, that should get rid of the porpoising. Stock binding settings are too far back for most skiers. Other than the binding I'm on the same numbers Horton used in his review on my green 67, which are basically rossi numbers IIRC.

where is the back of the front boot now? stock shows 30 7/8 for the 69. If that's where you are, try an extra 1/4" and report back

http://www.perfski.com/index.php/ski/slaloms/mens-slalom-skis/radar-2015-ltd-lithium-vapor68.html#

• Baller

Thanks @MattCL. I have really satisfied with my ski's performance .. until I got The Fin Whisperer Book.

Since digesting the book, I've made a couple of changes and each one has helped. It is nice that @SkiJay took time in his book to address ski tuning for the plus size guys.

After reading a bit, I moved my bindings 1 hole forward and it is a help.

Today I added a 2nd wing. That is right a 2nd wing! I have never heard of this as a Heavy Guy benefit. The 2 wings are golden, the additional wing provides additional tail support for full figured guys.

Next I'll move bindings ahead another hole.

In the past, I've seen the smaller Chet Raley Ventral wings but thought they were a something for the shortliners. Wrong.

I will not give away the exact specs in the book. But there is gold in there for skiers over 250# as well the other 99% who can benefit from a better understanding of ski dynamics.

• Baller
I'm actually finding on the '16 Vapor that the bindings slightly back from recommended is money. With the bindings forward, I don't feel I have enough ski supporting me in the pre-turn. Back slightly and it's the most consistent ride I've ever found. Digging it.