Binding Recommendations

MattCL

I purchased a new pair of Animal Boots this year and my front foot is just crushed by about the 5th pass. I have size 13 feet wide with a high arch. Does anyone have a recommendation for a comfortable boot. My ski came with the Radar Vector boots but I could not get them tight enough to control the ski - my foot would move around as I skied. Ski is a 71" Senate but I'm not sure that matters.

• Baller

@MattCL the vector is a great binding and I would consider it a direct parallel to the animal. I struggled with them for 3 seasons after retiring my animals but am happy I didn't give up on them.

How many sets do you have on the vectors? Also how are you tightening them? There is a bit of a learning curve for non-rubber bindings to figure out how to tighten them so the feel right (at least that's my opinion). If you want to give them another shot I could walk you through how I snug up the laces that finally got me to like them. They are very comfortable even when I have the cranked down but can still get my foot out.

Hi Wayne. Thanks for the offer. I skied 3 sets on the Vectors and then gave them back since they were demos. I liked the back binding but just couldn't get the front to hold my foot in place. If I had purchased them I would have probably spent more time figuring them out.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan I have lost a lot starting with the 2012 season. I'm not quite sure how to respond to your comment other than explain the road blocks.

January 2012 my son was diagnosed with spinal muscular atrophy, it's in the family of ALS but symptoms present at an early age. He was just under 2 when we figured things out and it took a while to process and build his care network. My daughter was born that year so it was a little hectic with a newborn and trying to figure out what special needs our son would have. Plus I ended up needing surgery to clean up my disaster of a left knee. As the calendar flipped to 2013 we came to the harsh realization that our house wasn't fit for maneuvering a wheel chair into or out of and figured for the best quality of life for my son we needed to move. We got extremely lucky and found a home that worked but still needed some modifications to make daily living easier (ingress/egress modifications, refit bathrooms, solid flooring throughout and so on). So 2014 was spent on managing contractors and getting the house to meet our specifications.

This year was the first year since 2011 I've been on the water consistently and I still need to figure out how to get a course plopped in this lake. 2012 and 2013 our boat had less than 1 hour put on it total. It only left the trailer once on those 2 seasons and I got a few runs behind a neighbors boat.

Skiing took a back seat but I don't regret it. Life has finally gotten easier and we are pretty well set up now. Even as my son gets bigger and will be in a powered wheel chair we will be able to set things up so he can drive right down onto the dock and be transferred into our ski boat. I want to share a sport that I really love with my kids. I grew up going out on the lake and I wanted them to have the same or better experience.

Sorry to hijack MattCLs thread.

• Baller
I vote hardshells. I have been using Reflex for 3 years and love it. You can feel secure in the binding without worrying about unsafe release issues. You can also crank the bindings down and then loosen them at the end of the lake when you're in the water if your foot starts to hurt.