Razor 1,2,3?

swerveit

Hey Guys

So I've got my hands on a Razor 2 which of all the skis I've tested is the one I've got on with the best.

I believe in RTM skis and there's not many about these days...

Question is: is the Razor 2 the first version of the ski that came out? Or is Razor 2 the 2nd version???

Because everything I read is "razor" not razor 2.

2nd question has anyone actually tested/tried the R3??

As I'm pretty impressed however of the Razor 2 is the same as the Razor it's pre 2011 design....

• Baller
@swerveit - I respectfully disagree. I have a Fischer Yellow # 1 that I skied on for 7 seasons. When I finally got on a new Mapple 6.0 a few years ago, I thought I would have noticed how the "old" Fisher had declined over the years. Not! It was every bit as lively as the new Mapple. I still have it as my back up. As @thager said, RTM skis are extremely durable.

• Baller

I brought my boat, forgot my D3 some years ago (embarrassing thought it was in the boat) in the fall to ski with my brother who was on a Razor2. Borrowed his ski, strada bindings(I ski D3 rubber leverage) and in one set I run 3@38. Not comfortable, but my practice avg. Figure it's worth buying one cuz it was FAST...maybe potential with time for me. At that point I've run successful 38's less than 5 times in my life.

Struggled next spring but had strada bindings on it. Went back to my D3 ski, but then threw the D3 bindings on the Razor...went very well.

First full year on it I ran twenty five 38's, on 5 different lakes, 3 different boat manufacturers, on all 3 speed control systems (PP classic, stargazer, zero off) and PB'd a tourney with 2.5 @39. In practice got my ski around 4@39. I'm also pretty sure the only time my brother ran 39 complete in practice when I drove him was on the Razor2.

Can't comment on the R3. Seemed Horton didn't care for it like he did for the R2. Some feel time has passed the R2 by...it's a great ski with RTM construction.

I would say the ski is very stiff. As a result if you are a hard turner it can generate too much angle out of the turn. However, it's so fast wake to wake that it allows for a mistake at the ball, a re-set, a honk at the wake and right back into an early pass. I sometimes wish that I could have everything about this ski except a softer finish to the end of the turn...though this is only a short-line issue for me.

@thager...you have a band-saw...lets cut some slots in my R2 and make a Razor-flex-tail? On second thought...let's experiment with yours given it's a back-up!

so I've tried a lot of skis this month, new Quest 45, Helix 2, Obrien's.....

first pass on them I free ski 32off see what happens, gives me time to see how it turns.

if I'm comfortable I will start running passes. Neither of the D3's made it to the course and the only ski I ran passes on was the Razor. Considering I had two weeks off the water within 4 sets Im running my average into 35. the shorter the rope the better the ski, its all very early..... but a little radical.

its like a formula 1 race car the faster you go the easier it is to drive,

This Razor is brand new never been used. If someone said this was a brand new design, I would have no issue. I'm just hung up on how old the design is. The build quality surpasses ANYTHING on the market today, it is completely flawless. Horton tried a R3 but it was suggested that it was a "prototype" of sorts...

1.was wondering if anyone tried the R3? looks a little fuller under the bindings.?

2.So the issue is do you go for a ski thats 10 years old in design but made in 2015 methods, or a ski thats a 2015 design made using 1998 methods??

3.also a buddy of mine suggested that all these skis are tested in the US (very warm water) I've had friends that have bought skis in the US skied 2 weeks, come back home to cold water and the ski just doesn't work. are any ski manufacturers test in colder waters?

• Baller
I think if you like the ski, you ride it and don't worry about the age of the design. The Razor is a damned fast ski that turns well. This sport is funny because there are always 5-10 new skis coming that we'd all like to try to find just the right one. But unless you are @Horton, all those skis get pretty danged expensive!

• Baller

@OTF pulled a dirt that's hilarious. @razorskier1 has a used one for sale...I think it's a 68. I'm with my brutha @swerveit if you like the ski, it's in as new condition, and it's selling cheap I'd do it.

Would I pay $2K for a new Razor today over trying a flextail? No. I'd demo the flextail first.

The other reason I bought the R2 when I did was so that I didn't feel I have to upgrade very 2 years due to a worn out ski. With RTM should keep original flex for some time. $2K upgrades every few years do not rock.

I generally get a new ski every season, But getting hold of skis isn't easy.

Fortunately money isn't the issue however the last two seasons the best ski I liked was the cheapest.

Last year I had the O'Brien Conquor which was a solid ski right up to 38 off then I couldn't do a thing on it. Even 35 is hit and miss. The razor seems the opposite, doesn't even warm up until 35 off.

Are skis at a stage where they are trying to reinvent the wheel. ?

Forget everything I said! I don't care if this things made of wood.

just ran the earliest easiest 35's of my life (in the rain and pretty dark) That ski is phenomenal! somehow I've found about 6-8 foot on the 32, I was in places I've never been before, giving me so much time and space.

For me, this ski is a real game changer!

Thanks for everyone's input.

Lesson of the day;

"if it works, swerve with it"

The ski is rapid I mean to the extent you can do anything around the ball and you know you'll make it up behind the boat. However I have no idea how you guys ran with the settings from Hortons review.... I suspect it's the warmer water you can get away with a twitchier ski.

The water I ski on is cold, fast and tight.

I've even gone for the softer flex.

I switched to factory settings from the website the ski was way more stable/tamer from there I can tune it to work from me. Previously I was just along for the ride.

It's seems like it's a ski your either going to get a PB on our fall on an opener. Hopefully now it's dulled down I'll be more confident on it.

I'm trying the R3 out as well. however the guy that has skied on both couldn't tell the difference and he's good for 41.

Happy to have anyone's numbers:

Currently running :

DFT needle .705

Depth 2.476

Length 6.878

Boots (double hards) 29.4

@londonskier

Jealous Dave, very jealous!! I'll need a full report when your back as I'm considering there or Vincent's place in France. However I'm in Aus for winter so off to Stoneys for me!!

The ski reminds me of the elite we had maybe even a little quicker just much more stable.

• Baller
I think about the only differences I had when I skied that stick was more depth (2.52 I think) and I ran the bindings further back (29.33), but I also use an RTP. Seemed like the bindings back helped to keep me from overturning and helped the ski to run. The depth kept the back end in the water when I pushed it hard. Almost never blew the tail.

@Razorskier1 warmer water makes sense with the depth.

I've had to adapt my style somewhat, only issue I'm having is off the 2nd wake I feel it's not casting out and running that direction.

its a ski that wants to turn, but when you're early id ideally like it to run on the rail for a bit. But I don't know if by its nature/design it will do that??

So early passes are harder because I have to run them late or on time. The shorter stuff becomes easier because the rythem falls in line with the ski natural urge to turn.

Any ideas??

(My old ski had 45 bevels which felt like it ran on rails which would cast out if your early and just track.)

Thanks, yeah I'm around 29.5 is depending how you measure....bulge of the heel vs where its connected. i think its a questing of tweaking. to get it right.

my opener is 28 which feels horrid, however 32 and 35 feel good!!

got hold of an R3 anyone tried one??

@Chef23 thanks however it's suspected to be a prototype. I've got the Razor 2B (standard flex) which I do like but needs tweaking.

However I've also got the Razor 3 in the A &B flex. The only thing that's changed is the rocker.... Anyone shed any light on this? @Horton did you get to try another version? got any info on these skis??