Collegiate team want to use my jump??

jwroblew

I got a jump this year from a club that was going under, it needed some severe maintenance, but it is looking good now. I college about 30 minutes away contacted my about using it. I'm unsure if I want to take this liability risk, but also don't want to be exclusive and want the sport to grow. What would you guys do? and what would you charge? I lease the boat based on hours so I need to cover that at least...

• Baller

Check to see if your current insurance or umbrella policy covers you. Jim Devito at Alcott insurance in San Diego is a skier and lake owner and can give you some relevant advice.

Life is not without risk. But avoiding all risk has its consequences too.

Let the kids ski!

Eric

• Baller

The last time I had a collegiate ski club use my site, I drew up a lease stating that I was leasing the lake, docks, jump, course, etc. to the university and that liability coverage was their responsibility. They somehow were covered with the school's insurance through a club sports type of policy. I made them give me a certificate of insurance at the time. Then, I wouldn't even drive or get in the boat for fear I would be found partially liable when someone got hurt.

Believe me, I was a collegiate team supporter for many years before that. I used to give them keys to my lake to come and go as they pleased. I learned through experience that it wasn't worth my support as few, if any, are still in the sport today. One year, before I became old and crotchety, I was pulling practice with my boat. I had a team president tell me that it wasn't fair I was making money off of them by charging $10 a set. I used my boat, on my lake, with my gas, I drove, and I coached those who wanted it, for $10 a set, and they said it wasn't fair.....

On the other hand, I know a few lake owners who rake in fat cash from the collegiate skiers and get tons of free work at their site. It works out well for them. It all comes down to the school and the team leadership I guess.

• Baller

Make sure they have their own insurance and that you're covered for every eventuality. Then write up a contract for maintenance of the jump and liability for any damage they may cause.

While we all want to encourage growth of the sport, collegiate teams can be difficult.

For several years I provided a slalom course fro a local collegiate team and they just got progressively more difficult to deal with. It got to a point where they cussed my brothers out when they asked to alternate sets- I guess they never learned to take turns. There was a rock near the course (not that close either) that we had marked. They ran over the marker buoy and the rock and claimed it was my fault. They hit it a couple of other times and blamed me each time. Eventually, the flipped me off whenever they went by, so I pulled the course out. By then they had monopolized it to the point that I had been skiing at other sites. Be careful...

• Baller

I am very disappointed to hear about bad experiences with college kids looking to get ski time. I certainly hope it is the exception and not the rule.

I would set ground rules up front, have them documented and reviewed with the leadership of the club regularly. Obviously the same is true for liability and any damage associated with use of your site. I would assume they are bringing their own boat if not that brings another set of issues.

• Baller

Lottawatta - Are you the site in Hamilton? Assuming so, FWIW, I skiied several tournaments at your site while in college. Thanks for hosting. Best parties at that site. Great place.

We've had good college kids and morons (like the kind that don't understand skiing is expensive) at our site. Ground rules, documentation, liability and making sure they aren't taking over the lake would be my considerations. It's great to support college kids.

• Baller
Hopefully you can work it out as I think it's important for the growth of our sport. We've had college kids skiing at our site one night a week for over 15 years. In exchange for using the site they mow the grass, clean up goose shit, trim trees, mulch beds, and whatever else we can find for them to do. With 15+ people the work can usually get done pretty quick. You're dealing with 18 to 22 year old kids so many are immature and will piss you off along the way. We've learned that you just ask those individuals to leave and don't come back. Most kids that age have had everything handed to them up to this point in their life and many don't understand why it shouldn't just continue. With that being said, there are plenty of really good kids who do appreciate it and many of them are still skiing with us and area clubs today, even after graduation.

• Baller
I would definitely charge them. wfter that if they sanction their practices you should be fine. All collegiate skiers are required to have USAWS insurance and if the practices are sanctioned then that covers most of the problems that could arise. Write up a contract with them as well of course.

• Baller

@tfisher Yes.

I don't want to sound like I am discouraging support for the collegiate teams. I made many good friends, some lifelong, and some that are active on this site, through skiing in college and supporting college teams. I certainly appreciate their struggle to find a course or a jump or even a pull behind an inboard boat. I certainly hope those who ski in college continue to ski tournaments, buy skis, buy boats, and build their own lakes after college. As a lake owner, just make sure you cover yourself, don't have any lofty expectations, and you will be fine.

• Baller

LottaWatta - Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking here for some time. Your site really did have some great parties and it was generous to host the tournaments there.

Just wanted to thank you for letting us ski at your site back in the day. I've been on both sides of this and pulling college kids/letting them use your site can be a thankless job. I ski 4 or 5 days a week and don't know if that would have happened w/o the college influence.

As a former lake owner/operator, I have been down this road. Lots of good advice above. Here is my additional advice:

1. No alcohol on the site.

2. They must pick up their own trash.

3. No overnight camping on the site.

4. They supply and maintain an ADA portable toilet on the site.

5. All boat drivers have the AWSA Trained Driver training (on-line).

6. Have set training days and times - they do not have the complete run of the place.

7. Have a standard set of lake rules that everyone follows (taking turns, how to pick up a skier, replacing buoys, dogs, guests, etc.).

Let them ski - but keep it to a dull roar.

I think everyone has pretty well covered the liability aspect of this. I would like to add my perspective as a collegiate skier. I am very supportive of collegiate skiing and want to see it grow. Most of us are responsible kids just looking to get some bouy time. However, as it has been said there are a few spoiled, disrespectful and inconsiderate collegiate skiers out there. If it was my lake I would want to meet with the team and spend some time with the leadership. If they seem like responsible kids then let them ski but make it clear that if they abuse the relationship than the deal is off. Also, make it clear that you have the option to ban specific members of the team. I have seen teams take tons of pride in maintaining their boat/site and I have seen other team destroy a boat/site in half a season. Meet with the team and try to figure out if these are the good ones.

Another options is to take care of the liability but instead of an open invitation just invite them out every once in a while when you feel like being charitable.

• Baller

As a lake owner who has had a collegiate team on my lake for nearly twenty years make sure you lay out the ground work in writing. Have a contract.

1. Don't count on any department to insure the team, make sure they have full coverage on the boat and list you as an additional insured.

2. Have rules in writing

3. Require if available state approved boating license to drive the boat.

4. As for work, you have the workers and those that will never lift a hand, choose wisely.

5. Insure yourself, your lake, and have an umbrella policy to catch anything tat falls through the cracks.