Correct oil capacity for PCM Excaliber 5.7L with filter

Tdub

I have been changing oil in my 2004 Ski Nautique since it was new and still have trouble with capacity. The manual says 4 qts with new filter. But every time I check it after the first run the dipstick reflects not full. So what is the correct oil capacity on this engine?

Thanks,

Tom

• Baller_

@Booze

Wix 51515 filter

I run 15W-40 Royal Purple. But Mobil one 10W-40 will work just fine. PCM recommendation is 15W-40 Rotella.

As far as Oil pan capacities on the 5.7, Keep in mind that the oil pan on the GM Small block 5.7 is the same almost across the board with all the marinizer's as the engine comes to them from GM with the pan and timing cover already installed. What we are dealing with is shaft angles and where and how much oil volume needs to be attained. Indmar, Ilmore and PCM install what they believe is the best capacity for the application they are warranting for via a dipstick. So a dipstick for a Ilmore may not be acceptable for a PCM or Indmar. Over full oil levels can be destructive and can cause catastrophic failure. Best course of action for oil change is to fill oil filter on PCM and Indmar before installation and pour in 4 qts of oil in the crankcase. with the boat in the water and sitting static Fire and run engine for a min or so and then recheck level and bring to level by adding 5 oz at a time till correct oil level is obtained.

• Baller_
To add to @Jody_Seal's comment - overfull can result in oil being whipped by the crankshaft thus being aerated which is a recipe for bearing failure. This also adds more heat to the oil, more internal resistance so be very careful not to overfill the crankcase. Much better to be between the marks on the dipstick than over the full mark.