Fresh Air Exhaust

Razorskier1

• Baller

Hello @Iff interesting thought there,

He opens at 28 and runs 38 and tells me there is no perceptible difference in wake. Might be interesting to see the look, but I'd be more interested in the feel from a skier who ran it before and after in terms of wake.

I have not been over there since the install...would be curious to hear it (or not hear it in this case). May not be in the cards yet this fall. Video seemed very quiet.

• Baller
@lff - will see if I get a chance in the next few weeks. Wind isn't favorable for my lake right now, and I'm leaving Thursday for a 5 day ski trip down south. I can say that you can see that there is more air in the center of the wake. In other words, there is a path about 2-3 feet wide in the center that is white now vs. being more water colored before. The table also seems flatter. However, I think that could be a treacherous area for barefooting, as the extra air might make the water too soft in the center. Haven't tested that theory yet. Probably will not happen until next year.

• Baller

Can't speak for -15 or for 34mph,

At 36 and -22 through -35 there is no perceivable difference in the wake. It is still super soft. One point as the guy who drives 34 mph skiers is that the tracking changed a little bit from having the exhaust pipe there. Doesn't make it bad, just different and it takes a set to get it dialed as the driver.

• Baller

@whitecaps I put it on my Response last spring, so I've gone through a full season with FAE. I put it on for few reasons - my wife and kids are especially sensitive to exhaust smell. They always complain about it, even though the Response exhaust has cats. Also, even though the boat is mostly used for slalom, we do occasionally drop the wedge and surf. Plus, anything that makes the boat quieter is a bit plus for me.

I am 100% happy with it. I have noticed no change to the slalom wake. I ski between 22 and 35 off at 34. My wife skis 15 off at 30 mph. The kids have been working their way up the slower speeds. The exhaust is MUCH quieter, and the exhaust smell is pretty much gone.

It takes a little getting used to having the pipe back there. The spray feels a little wonky at first, but it just deflects off the platform, and doesn't really affect anything. I haven't noticed any drop in speed, but I never run the boat at wide open throttle. I installed it myself, and it was significantly more difficult than they make it sound, but that's mostly because of the wedge on the Malibu.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Kyle

• Baller
We put it on our 99 Malibu Response lx a few years ago, and had no problems. Huge improvement in reduced sound. The people in the back seat can actually talk to each other now during our family outings, and don't have the exhaust smell while idling.

• Baller

I helped install on my regular ski buddy’s boat 4 yrs ago. 2004 Malibu LXi 340 Monsoon. These are loud boats - mostly from the back as you hear them bark all the way down the lake. No difference that we see in ski wake. Does it reduce top speed 1 mph? Who cares. The only adjustment is that there is a pretty big rooster tail spray in a sharp turn (-32/35 off) if we spin at end of lake. (Only sprays as boat pivots and back end is sort of sliding sideways). Just move over 4-5’ to just outside wake and it’s no prob. We ski early on a public metro lake with residences on about 1/2 the shoreline, so being respectful is super important to us. I forget about how much improvement it is until a guy on the lake with exact same boat (stock exhaust) is in the rotation. I’m a HUGE fan.

I’d like to help my neighbor down the block install underwater exhaust on his Harley.....

(We removed the wedge. Had never used it)

• Baller

@whitecaps I'm a big fan - its been on my "next year" list for several years after being in a boat with one.

Beyond just skiing we have a ~30-45 minute dead idle no wake river we often run and quieter is better for everything you can possibly think to do for 45 minutes at an idle.

• Baller

I put FAE (Y-Version) on my 17' 5.7 PS. It's much quieter from outside the boat but not a big change from inside the boat. I also think it uses a slight amount more fuel with the FAE.

As for wake I can't tell any difference except for the small spray right behind the platform.

@skimtb I can't fold the platform down without removing it.

ig79tmfv96a9.jpg

c9ps70gwrku2.jpg

wg1a9c9t7gu3.jpg

• Baller
I had an FAE on my 2007 LXI with a hammerhead engine. As stated by everyone the boat is so quite you can hear the wake. The hole shot was the issue for me. The start up power seemed to be reduced significantly. We are at altitude here so maybe the exhaust restriction put the Hammerhead over the edge. Or maybe the FAE doesn't work well with the tuned headers. I don't wake surf enough to use it so I have it removed. Hole shot is good again.