Denali – First Impressions

Bruce_Butterfield

• Baller_

I normally don’t make public comments on a new ski until I’ve had several sets, but the Denali warrants an exception. Based on 1 set and some measurements, I think the Ballers would appreciate some info.

I received a 67” prototype Tuesday, and after prying off OB’s friggin dual lock, I put it on my flex tester. I’ve measured over 2 dozen skis and have a pretty good handle on measuring. This particular Denali is one stiff sombitch. The tail is 20 lbs stiffer than my previous stiffest ski and stiffer throughout with only one exception. Interesting……

Other observations:

1. The forebody is wide – on the order of the Mapple 6.1. This ski has lots of surface area and tapers back to a more typical width in the tail

2. The tail is thick – the tail pic in another thread seems to be a little distorted and I was expecting something that was way out there. This tail is thicker than normal, but it didn’t seem that unusual to me. For the record, I’m of the opinion that a thinner tail is better, but that is only 1 piece of the design and the proof is on the water.

3. The rocker on this ski looks unusually flat, but when putting it next to a more traditional ski, the difference is mostly in the very tip of the ski. It is “flatter” overall, but again not way out there.

4. The tunnel looks to be deeper than other skis and is flat in the middle as opposed to the typical concave bottom. A good design feature IMO.

On the water:

This ski is really easy to ride and feels comfortable right off the bat (YMMV). Typically changing to any new ski takes between a few passes and a few sets to adapt to. After the first pass on the Denali, I was confident and could “get after it” without hesitation. The ski turns very symmetrically and the tip stays down out of both sides.

Two things really stand out with this ski:

1. Once it sets its angle out of the turn, it holds and allows the skier to put maximum leverage against the boat. It is rock solid out of the turn and past the second wake.

2. On the edge change, the ski “casts out” better than anything I have ever ridden. Once you come off the handle, the ski still wants to go to shore rather than shut down and stay narrow.

The thing I liked most about several of Andy’s skis is that they loved to create space in front of the buoy. The combination of the 2 above attributes is that the Denali creates more space than even Andy’s best design (when ridden by us normal skiers). Space is even harder to create since ZO has arrived. I felt I could get the space and width I use to be able to get with a good manual driver.

The only downsides I experienced – again with only 1 set – is that the turns are very aggressive that can tend to break the skier forward, and the ski casts out so rapidly that it can lead to handle separation (opposite of handle control) and upper body shifting forward. I felt confident that these could be overcome with either just getting use to the ski, or a few minor fin/binding tweaks.

I have tried a lot of skis over the years and I’m pretty hard to impress. I’m impressed with this one.

The bad news is that I had to ship the prototype off to another skier so I was only able to get 1 set on it. The good news is there is another one on the way :) . More to follow after a few more sets.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Smells like an independent ski test to me. Good info ! Keep it coming. Nice to get feedback from guys at various levels. Brilliant demo idea , send skis out to Ballers and have them pass em on to other Ballers. I rely more on the feedback from the guys on this sight than anything else when I decide to test a new ski. Horton can tell you how to ride each ski to get the most efficiency out of the design , but at his level , he seems to run 38 on almost all skis sent to him. Most of us on this sight lack those skills and settle for a ski that best hides our weaknesses. As in this skis case , keeping outbound direction. Thanks Bruce.

• Supporting Member

@rawly Just FYI, Bruce is a better skier than Horton (or me). You may have already known that, but it sounded like you were treating his impressions as "everyman," which is not very accurate.

But in general I strongly agree with your sentiment. When people are having success -- and FUN! -- with a ski, it definitely makes me more interested.

I hope to be on a Denali next week! But I probably will not have a lot of feedback to post for a while -- maybe not until next season. I'm right between sizes, so there's gonna be tuning needed and my early results may not mean much.

• Administrators

You guys realize that is this all a hoax. Right? I get injured so AdamSquared suddenly has time to launch a ski company. As soon as I can ski again the new ski might be no longer available.

Cord is just evil and likes to screw with me. As far as I know there is not even a real ski.

• Baller
Well @Than_Bogan I know it is not a hoax since I was the boat judge one round watching Adam ski on it at Trophy Lake; very impressed with the performance! And based on discussion with @OB1 about his ride, I would love to take a few sets on the ski!

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller