Wing - Stability/Lift/Drag

Stevie Boy

• Baller

So I have been looking at various ideas for a different type of wing, I know that a wing gives you.

Stability / Lift / Drag

My Guess the priorities are in that order, can anybody tell me if that is correct, is there any of these that would not be that important.

I have seen one of my Ideas or something along the lines of, elsewhere on somebody ski they may have beaten me to it, or it may already exist, have a look at the Video with Terry Winter when he talks about the Raptor, surprised @Horton did not pickup on the Aero Foil on Terry's fin ?

• Baller

I have done a little small experimenting with the wing. Here is my simple and limited conclusions:

1. I Suck without the wing. I feel all out of sorts and nothing good comes of it at 34 MPH 28 off and shorter. Just end up fast and out of control.

2. My wife struggles to run passes at 30 MPH 15' OFF when I remove the wing all together. The attitude of the ski in the water is just all wacky.

3. My 6 year old can smoke 21 MPH WITHOUT the wing........ put it on and he struggles to run 19 MPH........ He seems non-effected by stability, but the drag kills his ability to create space before the ball.

• Baller
I would prioritize it as drag due to separation behind the wing (which, as a result, provides additional directional stability) and the downward "lift" at the tail. Drag increases as you move forward over the ski (approach to the buoy) and the ski reduces in pitch attitude. The more wing angle, the more drag. The downward "lift" helps with rotation around the buoy.