HO Animal vs Wileys for Slalom

Felix Bauer

Hi Guys ,

For years now I have been skiing with a regular HO Animal rubber boot on my slalom ski and just the tried the wiley standard slalom wrap - turned out to be worse as it gives me no side support. So does anyone know if the trick wrap is better/ gives more side support ? - Are there also other considerable rubber boots in your opinion? :D

• Baller

Hi Mr. Felix,

Well my equipment is really considered 'old school' I think by most on this blog,but after a hiatus from tournaments for a while, I am skiing this summer, and I am back on very old Animals- while the D3 leverage is good, and I skied those for years, the Animals outlasted them and there is an issue with the D3 vs the old (and I admit this is old data) where the HO plates are much more robust- like Aircraft grade Aluminun vs the D3 plates (older) which bend with very little pressure or overtightening. Just one data point. My HO animals are ancient but they fit, support and keep on going. Also,and I am a veteran of hitting offside ball at shortline and having a major ankle breakage (on a Connelly binding I was trying) the Animals release better than the Leverage. Wileys release well too.

This may not help you at all if buying new.

On Nate to say 'they' is not really accurate- it should be 'it' as he uses one for the front.

• Baller
For what it's worth, here's an opinion: Wiley's are extremely well crafted versions of 1970s bindings, made with the best materials they can get. Animals are the evolution of Herb O'Brien's first HO bindings. Animals generally give the control of a Wiley Pro Wrap. Neither releases easily if worn for maximum support. Animals, for my money are the better binding. (Of course, I ditched mine for Reflexes...)

• Baller
I've been using D3 T-factors since they came out. I really like them. My front binding had an issue shortly after I got it. I stuck a HO animal on while I was waiting on a waranty. I felt so out of control with the Animal compared to the T-factor. The only down side I coudl see if you have a really wide foot they might be a little uncomfortable.