What are you looking at?

skihard

• Baller

So last night three of us were on the water skiing together and the discussion of edge changing and initiating the edge change came up between us when we were switching skiers. All 3 of us are very different in our abilities, speeds, and line lengths for the record.

Interesting that the discussion brought up the following question - What or where are you looking at when you finish the turn, load, and pull for the next buoy? And how does that help you initiate your edge change?

Me personally I look at the back corner of the boat at the end of my turn than once I'm loaded I try to focus on the first wake which helps me feel the first wake and then initiate my edge change. Once my change starts I try to look about 15 feet in front of my next buoy to keep my angle into the start of my turn.

I know a whole bunch of you on BOS are way better than I am but it struck me when all three of us had different focuses.

So here it is - WHAT DO ALL OF YOU LOOK AT AFTER YOU LOCK & LOAD?

• Baller
Someone here a while back said to look down the rope, and I did, and it helped. Then I stopped doing it. Now, when I remember (beginners have so many things to remember) I still look down the rope, and on most passes when I do, it helps. I'm only talking about the finish of the turn to the first wake, at that point I switch my focus to the direction I'm headed. Probably the short line skiers don't do this but for us beginners (pb 4@ 52kph) I think it helps you get your hips and chest up and aligned with the direction of pull. ie, until it's second nature, anything you can do to improve your stack will reap huge rewards in the course.

• Baller

Terry Winter says to look over the bow of the boat when you come out of the buoy and focus on the next buoy. I tried this, but stuff happens and I forget about it.

I guess I look at the right hand gate ball into the gates and then across the wake out of the buoy.

My big focus is keeping my eyes and shoulders level around the buoy. What happens after that is variable.

• Baller

I try to read the logo on the back of the ski boat and then when my eye catches the bouy I look at that. The problem is my vision is terrible and I could never get used to contacts so I can't really see the next bouy until I'm well across the second wake. So I tend to look off at the shore in line where I think the next bouy is going to be.

I notice if my vision drops and I focus on the wakes my stack falls apart (which happens a lot).

• Baller_

Andy told me to pick a spot on the second wake and ski to that spot. It's served me well so far. Tried all the others. But honestly there's more then a fare share of thoughts on this all with validity. Don't think there is a right or wrong but more of what works for you. ,

What's Nate lookn at? And you should see his 2,4 side. Everybody's different.

mriiplrlijyc.jpg

• Baller

I really think the answer depends on where you are in the learning progression & what you're struggling with. Many are passionately against looking across the lake, but I really think that applies more to experienced/shortline skiers, who typically need to not rush the turn or overload the line, are trying to stay level (as per @crashman 's comments), and have also learned not to ski directly at the ball.

If, however, you're still learning the course and having trouble developing an aggressive-enough lean, I'd still advise looking across the lake, picking a tree and pulling for it (even though it's a habit you'll want to slowly give up as you advance).

I've also noticed that several pros turn their head across the lake a bit more aggressively on their offside turn, and @Wish 's photos of Nate above are a good example.