D3 Quest or Radar Vapor?

Waternut

• Baller

I have been debating between those 2 ski's since they both came out and with winter coming, I think it's the perfect time to start ski shopping for next year.

I had the 2012 and 2013 Radar Strada's and then went for the 2013 and 2014 Quest. I like the Quest better than the Strada but there has been a lot of buzz around the Vapor since it came out that it really makes me want to try it. However, trying a new ski basically means buying it and using it/dialing it in for a couple months so not a quick test.

Just curious what others think.

• Baller

Nate could probably run the course on a Pogo stick, so the comment on the world record should be null and void, you have got to demo, but if you already ski well on a radar ski and you are going to buy without a demo, the Radar is a safer bet.

I do not ski on either so no bias here.

• Baller

I had a Goode for 8 years and could not get past 3 ball on 12m. Swapped it to the D3 for one season - no improvement - nothing wrong with it. But the D3 Quest was a very dull ski.

I tested the Radar & was sold just after two sets. It was just fun to be on, it reacted to what you put in & quite quick low effort skiing.

My conclusion is its the best ski I have ever had in 33 years of skiing (all the way back to Connelly HP days). Turns evenly (that for a start is impressive out of the box) there is lots of info on how to set it up. See Horton's review + the official Rini/Rossi settings. I'm a pass up in two seasons so a very,very happy skier. And its without doubt the ski has helped me to run12m .

A friend this week has been testing the Goode flex tail v the Radar 2015 model and he is preferring the Radar. His comment - even turns, fast across the wakes but makes a nice predictable turn, & as its not as stiff as the Goode it more forgiving.

In the UK you do see the Green & Pink 2014 models everywhere at every level which is odd as it says it is a top end ski. People just love it I cant see the same response to the D3 here in UK

Pro skiers ski on specials, tuned skis, stiff skis/soft skis, the best of a batch of 25 they tested. Skis glued together & they have talent.

My advice is take a test and see what feels good then go from there!

Or just buy the Radar

Good luck

• Baller

I have owned both skis, and skied on each for over a year. Both are very good skis. I do like the Vapor over the Quest. Both skis turn pretty much the same, however I feel the Vapor is faster to the ball, has a better glide on the pull-out for the gates. I found the Quest to stall out if you put too much pressure on the front foot on the offside turn. But like disland says you should try each ski, one may be better for your skiing style. Many of my ski buddies have gone from the Quest to the Vapor, and have sold their quest to other owners at our lakes and they are happy

with the Quest. I do feel my skiing progression sort of stalled on the Quest, this year has been one of my best ski years on the Vapor.

try try try - don't listen to all the "propaganda" (funny how new ski's (right now the 2016 vapor) ALWAYS gives you more space, easier turn etc...... BOTH ski's are world-record capable and with the "right input" I'm sure they deliver.... don't (necessarily) go with the masses be unique and chose because YOU ski great on precisely THAT ski :smiley:

• Baller
Different skis work for different people, like I said earlier, I have no bias here as I am on a HO, a ski buddy of mine went to a D3 45 Quest, immediately, he looked earlier and wider, but he is a good skier and was able to get the best from the ski, he skis 38 off, on the other hand the 2016 RADAR Vapour excites me, I am trying to get a demo, I did try the Strada couple of years back, didnt like it at all, so I do not know if Radar is for me, thats why you have to demo, if you cannot demo the only other thing I can suggest is get a few people together, all buy the ski, the chances are somebody is going to like it, if not sell it and share the loss.

• Baller

Well I bought a pretty cheap demo 2015 vapor and will see how it goes compared to my quest. Hoping for good results but with the current market of vapors out there, if I don't like it, I doubt I'll be out too much money if any.

One downside to a demo is I don't really know how it was used in the past.