2012 Mastercraft 197 steering cable replacement.

oldmanskier

• Baller

Our club has a 2012 Mastercraft 197 with 1100 hours. Steering is starting to feel loose. Original steering cable.

Is replacing the steering cable a DYI project or do we need to take it back to dealer?

NOTE: We have done DYI before for fuel injectors, impellers, fuel pump, replacing coil pack, replaced tracking fin bolt, oil changes, Zero off etc.

Thanks.

• Baller

oldjeep from other posts I see you do on boats I know you are very knowledgeable about boats and I value your comments.

Question/comment:

I may be wrong about cable.

One response said cable got tight instead of loose when theirs needed replacement.

Our boat has 1100 hours on it.

How many hours does a steering cable usually last?

And yes our boat had a bad leak issue off and on over the years and water did sit in the bilge a lot.

Clubs fault (me included) for not draining bilge at end of day.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments.

• Baller

I agree that the steering gets tight when it is the cable. For sloppy I would be looking at the tilt unit. On the same lxi that I did the cable on the tilt u it wore out from years of using the steering wheel as a way to get out of the seat. I'd check that first - need to remove steering wheel so that you can get the rubber boot off of it to inspect. Look for slop in the joint and bearings.

As for how long it lasts, in the 04 lxi it was about 950 hours on the cable and 900 on the tilt unit.