Tow vehicle suggestions

SDNAH2OSKIER

• Baller

Yukon Denali AWD. Had a 2008 and now a 2012. 6.2L. A tow beast. Comfy inside good stereo and creature comforts.

Sounds great with vacuum assisted open exhaust when you put your foot in it.

On the way home from the lake, came up alongside my buddy's Matrix at stoplight, whooped his butt with boat in tow. We still laugh about that.

I think I mentioned that I have a 14' Ram 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi and it tows that little boat with authority, just the way I like it. I dont blame my buddy for wanting the same feeling. He has pulled the boat with my truck and my guess is that he feels less secure pulling it with the Acura after pulling it with my truck. Its pretty night and day. As most of you know, most trucks actually ride BETTER under load and my Ram is no exception. It is quiet, smooth, predictable etc.... I appreciate all the feedback. I wont be towing it with a Tiguan, but I can see an X5 in his future.

• Baller_
Was considering a lightly used Benz ML (maybe GL) SUV diesel. Up until 3-4 months ago (maybe more) it made some sense. I have a company that will alter it to greatly improve milage (close to 40mpg) as well as help maintain it. Lots of advantages with this choice until gas and diesel started to separate in cost diesel now being close to $1.00 more. When it was closer to $.25-.40 cent diff, I would be doing very well on mpg compared to a gas SUV of the same size and torque range. But now I'm past the break even point competitively on mpg. Anyone have any insite to why the sudden and continued cost split between gas and diesel?. Will this just continue to get worse or tend back?? Also if anyone has any experience with these as a tow vehicle, I'd like to hear about it but the diesel thing is the real question.

• Baller
@Wish idk why the market does what it does. I’ve had both gas and diesel. My dad has had both. We’ve at times had IDENTICAL trucks but one gas and one diesel. In our experiences, at the 8-10 year mark we’d take gas any day and over the long run we’ve saved some $ with the gas and didn’t see a lack in performance. But this has been in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. A small SUV may be a vastly different story.

• Baller_

@olldjeep from that article.. "July 2018, the national average for a gallon of gasoline was $2.88. Diesel is averaging $3.17".

Now the cost diff is almost $1.00. Just wondering why and if trend will continue this way. The article while informative does not address this. In 2 yrs of me paying attention to the prices, the split has never been this high.

• Baller

A few thoughts - your original targets are great choices, in looking at the specs of the GL450, with turbo V6 you get HP & Torque close to my Tundra, but with somewhat improved fuel economy (21 highway versus 17).

The MDX & Honda Pilot are two vehicles I would avoid towing with as Honda doesn’t have a great track record with transmissions. Great engines though.

The Cayenne is a compelling choice as a tow vehicle for your friends needs. My only hesitation having owned Porsche vehicles is they are built with such tight tolerances, they are not as bullet proof as other vehicles.

In regards to towing near a vehicles limit - can you, of course, but realize this will be hard on the vehicle. I made the mistake of towing my SN196 with my wife’s Pilot (100mile trip) once - it was a horrible experience in comparison to the truck and that trip finished off the rear struts. Most mid size SUV’s with unibody construction are really not well equipped to endure regular towing.

Here is an interesting litmus test: does your tow vehicle have a full size spare? If not, probably not a great situation to be in.

Let us know what your friend decides.

• Baller
Obviously type of roads and frequency of towing effect what kind of vehicle you want for that towing. Our NORMAL towing would be 2x every weekend, going 10-15 miles, at 35-45 mph. For that use, I would be fine with a medium sized SUV with barely enough towing capacity. ANY use on a 65-70 MPH highway I would want something larger (larger SUV or 1/2 ton truck.) If I need to avoid some crazy on the highway at 75 mph, I want to make sure my tow vehicle is as much heavier than my boat as practical. I have work needs for a truck, and we travel once or twice from florida to NC, with boat, so my decision is made. My tundra is the perfect fit.....had a 2006 for 12 years and no problems till I got my 2018 last spring.

• Baller
@bigskieridaho Grew up on the farm. I like diesel but only tow boat to the lake in the spring and back to pole barn in the fall so doesn't suit my needs. Price way beyond what I need. Plus, Minnesota adds corn drippings to the diesel fuel. Getting sick of the coking that is causing in my TDI. Cleaning it out is a bitch. Mx cost runs higher here also when I have to take it in compared to gas. As far as a diesel Jetta goes I can't wait to get my hands on a 2015.

• Baller

Rule #1 for towing....Never let the the tail wag the dog....

As others pointed out it does depend how far and how fast...if at highway speeds (60+) I personally wouldn’t tow with anything smaller than a full size SUV or full size pickup. A longer wheelbase is your friend when things get ugly. What works for a 1000 pound utility trailer probably isn’t appropriate for a 4-5000 pound boat trailer combo...even with brakes...

@6ball is correct...that Eco Turbo V6 in the Fords is a beast...we are specing out our new fleet vehicles (600+ pickups and suv’s) with that engine...

I have a 09 GMC 3/4 ton crew cab FWD with the diesel and Allison...works great...don’t even know the boat is back there. I’ve towed my 28’ race car trailer with it (it’s light about 6700 total loaded) and the engine/trans is fine but a longer wheelbase/dually would be better for that- I’ve towed a LOT of miles and wont drive the GMC over 55/60 with the big trailer-usually use my KW to pull the bigger trailer.

Just my opinion....

• Baller
Yukon Denali with 6.2L or Escalade. Those are the only full size SUV's with the 6.2 block. You can't beat cubic inches. The new 8-speed auto in my Escalade with the 8/4 gets 23mpg easy at 70mph got 27mpg 55-60mph. I beat my friend's Toyota Matrix at a stop light and I was pulling the SN.

• Baller
@SDNAH2OSKIER From your original list (or any list for that matter), the Lexus is the best choice for quality and reliability. The Landcruiser platform is over-built to last decades, and their unmatched resale values back up this fact. An early 90's LC will still set you back a decent amount.

• Baller

One comment on the lexus. My dad went from a gx470 with air suspension to a gx460 without. The gx is a great tow rig with the air suspension and a terrible one without. (this is based on me towing a scissor trailered pontoon that weighs maybe 3500lbs twice a year for him with his car)

Edit looks like i made that same comment 3 years ago ?

• Baller

@liquid d then I'd have to drive a truck the 360 days of the year that I don't tow. My SUV has a 7K tow rating, has over 500 hp and 480 lbs/ft of torque, brakes the size of dinner plates, corners like an SUV shouldn't, and can pick off 160 mph. Certified pre-owned for $40K 6 years ago...and shoot it doesn't even know something is behind it.

Full on trucks are cool, just not for me. Our ski boats are not that heavy so lots of options to please everyone.

• Baller
Ford Raptors have a big block like the Denali series for GM. My boss had a blackout version for awhile. Almost bought it off him but stayed with the SUV. That Raptor has some torque so assume tow rating was up there with the Denali/Esky.

My next car will be some kind of Land Cruiser variant. Likely a 2006-2007 Land Cruiser or Lexus LX470 (both being 100 series Land Cruisers) or a later Lexus GX470 (a 120 series LC "Prado"). If you can afford a nice 200 series (2008 to present) Land Cruiser or Lexus LX570, that would be, in my opinion, your best SUV option. Great blend of towing capacity, off road capability, reliability, and luxury features / overall driving experience. Really the perfect SUV. If you're in the same boat as me and cant afford a 200 series, look for a 100 series Land Cruiser or some kind of GX. The earlier GX460s are really getting to be affordable nowadays. The GX is worth the extra money over the 4Runner on which it's mostly based. Interior is miles ahead of the 4Runner. Not even close.

If you're willing to put up with extra maintenance, there is absolutely no experience on this earth like driving a Range Rover. They are magical (and good tow vehicles).

Denali XL (as they have the bigger engines compared to the Suburbans) and Ford Expedition EcoBoost are great if you really need extra room inside.

All that being said though, no normal SUV can beat a modern full size truck for towing. I don't think any SUV will have the wheelbase of a longer truck and most don't have the power (yeah, yeah, Range Rover Sport.. Porsche Cayenne Turbo.. I know).

• Baller_
@shansen345 now I feel kinda dumb. Totally forgot about wheel base as it relates to towing. Honestly I tow my boat almost never. But would like to hit the road with a decent sized camper once I retire. Am a skier on a budget so same for camping. So a used Benz GL diesel vs ML may get me the wheel base plus power, fuel economy and engine longevity considering we keep vehicles for a looong time. It will also be my wife's daily driver and she does not want a truck.

• Baller
@ozski I've got one of them too, Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2l oil burner. Tows like a dream, drives like a large car. Uk towing capacity is 6200lb & 2200lb in the load bay. I did a 400 mile trip earlier this year with the 205 MC on the back and a ton in the rear and barely knew it was there. The only downside is 25mpg and around $8/gal in the UK!

• Baller

On the Benz side the GL 550 (now GLS) is their 3 row SUV...more wheel base than my ML and it tows nice, too. Has the 5.5L v8 plenty of power. It is my wife's daily driver but I towed the SN about 60 miles with it last week and it does great.

Having driven both, can't say there is much difference with a TSC1 bubble butt back there...both feel like nothing is there.