Supra Comp 1985 ts6m

Howa1500

• Baller

@Howa1500 that era Supra's were notorious for allowing water to leak down through the floor where the cutouts for the exhaust goes down into and under the floor. Wasn't sealed to keep the water out and there was nowhere for the water to go except to soak into the foam. With wood floors and stringers, assuming the foam is indeed wet if those aren't already soft they will likely go soft and need to be addressed at some point. If so, ripping it all out and starting over is the only remedy. The first boat I ever owned, a well used 1970 Larson Shark tri-hull, had floor and stringer rot with soaked foam. Spent an entire winter ripping it all out (digging all the wet foam out was a total bitch) and redoing it as best I could on limited knowledge and even more limited budget. Good learning experience but I'll damn sure never do it again. Best done by a pro with the right knowledge and tools.

In that era Supra was the slalom boat of choice and would likely have been where Malibu i.e. is now if it weren't for this issue. Once people realized the problems with these boats they quit buying them, which killed Supra's share of the tow boat market. They finally too late fixed the issues by re-engineering their boats but by then the marketing damage was already done and the other manufacturers had snagged their market share. Still great tow boats though, just problematic maintenance wise with regards to the foam/floor/stringer issues.

So the probability of the foam under the floor being wet is very likely. I have a hard time comprehending what you're saying about where the water is getting in from. So I guess my best bet is to rip out the floor and see if the foam is wet. What are the advantages of putting in a composite floor like @Wish said

• Baller

I found the most common source of water intrusion under the floor was at the transom where exhaust pipes come through.

You may just want to make an exploratory hole through the floor just behind the drivers seat using a one inch hole saw/drill.

Sometimes you could tell from a small weep hole that should exist through both stringers about at the front of the engine. About a 1/8 inch or smaller hole. Hard to find, but if you do you likely will see signs of water having dripped out of the hole (a liitle black streak underneath).

• Baller

Wow that plate is turned down a mile. As others have said, make it perfectly level and then experiment with putting it down a very small amount.

I would weigh the boat and see if it is likely waterlogged before drilling holes. If it is, then you really should fix it.

• Baller

Do some a little research before even drilling an "exploratory hole". There are plenty of writeups on the web on nearly every boating forum. None are super difficult for someone with a decent amount of mechanical aptitude but they are very time consuming and you never really know what you'll have to replace until you dig into it. Removing the engine makes the job a lot easier if that's an option.

You'll easily spend $1000 or more just doing the job yourself and will likely never recoup those costs by selling the boat. Just an FYI...

Most likely going to weigh the boat and compare to what it's actually supposed to be. If there's a drastic difference maybe it's water logged and it'll be a winter or spring project to rip out the floor and dig through the boat (hoping to put a new floor in regardless)

• Baller
If you replace your floor, make certain you find a good closed-cell foam. Up until the recent past, all that was widely available was an open cell foam that absorbed water. Thankfully that's not the case anymore, and not terribly expensive. Between that and composites, you can restore a boat to outlast you

• Baller
Your looking at $3000 to $4000 for stringer repair from a shop. A friend of mine just did it himself on his 1986 supra comp and has everything well documented here. http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?17789-Supra-Comp-Born-1986-Reborn-2015 you will have to join the supra forum to view the pictures and also the forum has a wealth of knowledge to help you with your boat. I have been a member for 6 years. And in those 6 years I would have to say 90% of people that buy the old wooden supras have stringer rot. I hope you dont. But theres a good chance. Water also gets in under the rubrails. See if there is a bead of silicone under the rails. First you need to straighten that wake plate and see how your wake is. Man that things way down.

• Baller
I was trying not to be a bummer, and bring up possibility of stringer rot. But, @foxriverat is correct that this is a real concern. You may want to check these things out soon, so even if you don't start the rebuild work until spring, you could remove whatever is wet/rotted (if anything) before storing and give the rest of the boat plenty of time to dry out. The link foxriver provided should give you much of the "how to" and when done, can give you a boat better than original. And, the pride you did it yourself. Maybe even a lighter boat when done.

znttlcecik78.png

l8pvfsey5e6v.png

Took into consideration all the thoughts and ideals as to why there was a considerable "rooster tail" on the back of this ski boat that clearly shouldn't have been there. Pulled the boat out early spring to mold the wake plate dead flat and made a substantial difference....wake is gorgeous

• Baller_
yes and no. From year to year PP has upgraded the system to new versions. Within each of those upgraded versions there is a version for cable throttle boats...yours and "drive by wire" boats (an electric controlled throttle)..not yours. All versions of cable throttle will work. If lets say a used PP system is on ski it again and it says "drive by wire", that will not work.

• Baller_

You probably won't be able to use any of the drive-by-wire (DBW) versions of PerfectPass. But, there should be some mechanical throttle versions that will work. What type of engine do you have?

The folks at PerfectPass are very helpful. They should be able to tell you exactly what works. If you buy new from them, they even have the display gauge specifically for Supra. Check out their website for more info.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

Basic rpm to speed formula is for example a 13x13x1 prop 1st number is diameter second is cut (distance forward per rotation in inches) 3rd number is prop shaft diameter.

This prop at 3000rpm calculates like this

3000. Rpm

X13. Cut

39,000. inches forward per minute

12 inches per ft.

5280 ft per mile

60 minutes per hour

39,000÷12=3250ft per minute

3250 × 60min = 195,000ft per hour

195,000÷5280=36.931......mph

Less 10-12% slippage and drag

Speed is 33.6mph tadah!!!