which rev. of PP software do u need to use slalom switch?

Fehlindra

• Baller

Dont recall version but at 2001 you should be good. I always used a switch, at 215+ at the time, without it total crap ride n bad times.

With switch you have KX, PX, skier weight and wind correct, all necessary to get a truly good ride. That assumes crew weight and SSD are correct. Lots of variables that take a skilled tech (aka driver) for consistent rides pass to pass much less day to day.

Stargazer better but can be a PITA to get the front and back half times balanced.

Haven't used Zbox myself but have been told works/skis very well. Simple settings for driver and consistent rides up n down n day to day. That's the way I would go.

• Baller_

I know that a version as old as 6.0xy (with single line display) will allow the slalom switch. If your version is higher than than, you should be good.

Side note: on that 6.0xy, we used to set the Kx at 80 to get a strong pull that would keep us closer to ZO. Newer versions just had -, n, + or ++

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

@Bill22, I believe that the Jump Switch requires the Smart Timer and magnets. I don't recall hearing anything about that same requirement for the Slalom Switch, but I cannot state with full confidence that it is not a requirement. I seem to recall that the operation of the jump switch was more dependent on the location of the boat in the jump course and that the timer helps avoid operation of the switch when it is not beneficial (and even would be detrimental) to the skier.

Others may know more.

• Baller_
@Fehlindra , what version does it say when you power up the display? I think, with single line display, that it would show that upon powering on. It's been a long time since I worked with one and don't recall the menus that might show the system version.

• Baller

@Fehlindra Been a while since I played with PP, been ZO exclusive since 2011. Don't know if the switch requires magnets for slalom or not. With a PX of 0 it does nothing, above that it adds the setting as a percentage of skier weight to rpm. I went with a 20 so would get 40rpm added when engaged (200lbs skier weight, I lied, better for opener. Did sound like titanic going down at the ends in tournaments though beep, beep, beep,,,, whole lotta beepin going on.) I recall I could feel it on the pull out, before the gates/magnets, so would assume magnets not needed.

I had a single line display that worked with the switch, upgraded to multi-line when I put Stargazer in that boat. So single line head worked, but did have new enough rev for KX -, n, + or ++ settings.

One of my favorite quotes from a big gun back in the day responding when asked why he skied ++, "because there isn't a +++!"

• Baller
All,you have to do to find out is scroll through the menu and see if PX appears. PX is set in numerical values, KX -,n,+,++. If you have a multiline display PX and KX appear on main screen. I have a couple of EPROMs but don't known the version. I'll send them to you if you want them. To get multiline you need a new head also.

• Baller_
If you are going to upgrade the chip, you might also want to get a chip puller at the same time. You can get them pretty cheap from the internet shipped direct to your house from across the left pond.

• Baller_

That is a fairly old version. Unless you can find some Px, Kx settings in the menus, I think you need an upgrade.

You will need to determine if you can get newer chips to work with your current master module. Also, you'll want to see if your current master module even has a socket to plug in a rope switch. You cannot use the 6.5NG chip with your single line display. I think the highest you can go is 6.5n.

If it were me and I were competing in tournaments, I would bite the bullet and get zBox. I'd at least get StarGazer to get the benefit of GPS and no more magnet requirement.

• Baller_
Follow-up: buying zBox for you means getting a new StarGazer master module, new multiine display, and the zBox upgrade. About the only thing you might keep is the throttle servo, and I would even double check that with PerfectPass.