Ski-Ski-Day

Creeker

With the cold weather fast approaching, was wondering how many skiers have done a Ski-Ski-Day?

Snow ski in the morning, then water ski in afternoon (or visa-versa).

Here in NC, it can be done... with a dry suit for going around the buoys.

• Baller
Memorable day in April 1995. Spent the weekend at the Clair Tappen Lodge near Tahoe. More than 4ft of snow fell Friday night. CHP had a safety stop going up I-80 - put on chains or turn around. Pulled the chains out from under the seat of my '83 2WD Toyota pick-up. Was over 10ft deep at the lodge. Snow boarding at Sugarbowl on Saturday. Après ski the lodge. Backcountry x-skiing from the lodge Sunday morning. Hustled back to the coast Sunday afternoon to catch the last waterski ride of the day at Berkeley Aquatic Park. Remember hearing the Allman Brothers newly released song 'Back Where it All Begins' for the first time on the radio as I was exiting I-80 in Berkeley.

• Baller
This was always one of the items on my "bucket list." Came close several times and then the stars must have been aligned right in February of 2013. I watched the weather for several days in advance and started planning. The day arrived and we launched the boat in the morning for a free ski ride on my home lake Sweetwater Lake in Indiana. I then took off for a little snow ski resort, Paoli Peaks, in southern Indiana for the afternoon/evening session. And...for the whipped cream on top.......it was my birthday!

• Baller
My crew skis upstate NY also @skihacker. Skied today on Conesus Lake. Have done the "double". It was a few years back, early April. Skied Bristol Mountain in the morning, then Canandaigua Lake in the afternoon. Onanda launch has enough water through the winter.

• Baller

Honeoye rocks! I've skied the old permanent course south end (gone now sadly - for many reasons...) There is also a portable course that goes in Honeoye on occasion.

Back on topic, many of the finger lakes in upstate NY often do not freeze (Canandaigua, Keuka, Seneca, Cayuga) and with several ski mountains nearby it is certainly possible to double up. I encourage it!

• Baller
Have done many. Already planning for a Norcal "trifecta" for this spring - ski Squaw from 9:00AM to 11:00AM, drive to Bell Acqua from 11:15 to 1:00PM, one slalom set each for me and my son, drive to Pacifica 2:30 - 4:30, surf the evening glass off until the sun goes down, grab dinner and a beer, head home.

• Baller

Hmmm, it'd be tough here in Minnesota. The temperature drops consistently enough in the fall that the lakes are usually frozen (even our deep lake which freezes late) before the hills have enough of a base down to open up for downhill. I do know that Buck Hill has been making snow as of late, but I don't know if they're open yet. If they are, it's technically possible, but you'd have to probably break up some ice at the boat ramp to get on.

Maybe I'll have to try it next year :smile:

Hmmm, apparently they have "snow" down.

buckhill.com/winter/clocktowercam.html

My guess is pretty icy.

• Baller
In Vermont I have done alternate day skis a few times, the spring is the most conducive for this. During the record warm March of 2012, on Saint Patrick’s day we snow skied in the morning and water skied in the afternoon.

• Baller

Back in the seventies I was flying Fighters out of Edwards Air Force Base and it was a big deal for Guys in the Squadron to Waterski at Lake Arrowhead, then go up the mountain to snow ski at Big Bear...First time I ever snow skied, but we had more fun getting blitzed at the Lodge Bar later on. I'll never forget seeing so many people sitting around the fire in the lodge wearing casts.