Radar Vice Gloves - Love @ First Ride

Craig Aitken

So the last 2 seasons I've had to endure some down time due to some elbow and forearm issues, Minor but enough to disrupt my skiing for weeks at a time. I decided it was time to try the Radar Vice gloves and I'm glad I did, for those of us that are getting a bit older these gloves are gold. I've had one set (dowel removed) and I'm sold. I will be buying two pairs and I hope these gloves never go out of style! My advice to anyone with arm / elbow tendon issues would be to try a set of these gloves as soon as you can, it does not take more than a pass or three to get used to the way they feel. Nice work Radar.

• Baller_

Plus 1 for the gloves from a loooooong time user of this style. And Radars are a better fit, finish and comfort then ML version...especially comfort with a wide cushy strap around the wrist. But, it may take more then a few passes to get used to them..just don't give up on them to soon. Also handle diameter as it relates to hand size matters. While I agree it may help wth tendinitis, this season for the first time in a decade + of wearing them, I have just that. Not sure why. But agree...well done Radar..well done.

• Baller
I have had a bunch of hand, shoulder, elbow, and forearm issues that have been plaguing me for 4 or 5 years or more. I got a pair of new Radar Vice gloves this past summer, sort of as a last shot, after another dismal start to the season, and they helped me get back in the water a lot more this year than the prior years added together. in my prior experience, I found the first generation to be slippery and the ML glove didn't fit too great and also slipped some. To me, I found the material that was used this year on the Radar glove much stickier, and I ended up buying 3 more pairs. I highly recommend them!

@Wish I'm using a slightly curved Intow handle as well, not sure what the diameter is but its not large. To get used to the feel I did quite a bit of dry land handle work, by the time I hit the water I knew pretty much what to expect. Does anyone know why Clincher is no longer in business? There seems to be a pretty good market for this style of glove.

• Baller

Ditto, ditto. (no dowel, as well)

FYI - I have used the above for a few years and love it. However, at the start of the season, I tried to switch back to normal gloves. I totally didn't have the grip strength to ski to my full potential. Just something to keep in mind. These types of gloves reduce the grip strength requirements.

Also, they take the load and transfer more load to your arms. I think that can lead to more risk for tendinitis. This year I had horrible tendinitis all season. I finally took a few weeks off and sought deep tissue massage and Graston (http://www.grastontechnique.com/) + ART (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Release_Technique) work via a skilled chiropractor. He determined that my golfer's elbow was more due to a tight triceps than forearm tightness. I've had two sessions of Graston+ART. Left with significant bruising (this is pretty invasive tissue work). However, when I skied the other day, I was pain-free!!!

• Baller

@LZywicki1 .... The reason a lot of skiers take the Dowel out is to prevent handle hang up when releasing the outside hand...I use to do this myself, but find it no longer necessary when using the curved handles. Leaving the Dowel in will give you more grip.

• Baller
I would like to comment on the dowel/no dowel issue. It is my belief that the main purpose of the dowel is to make the tether shorter. In most cases, shorter tether makes the wrist strap take more of the power, reducing the needed grip strength to hold on. For those that use a thin diameter handle, the dowel helps provide the best holding power as it makes the tether the proper length. For those that prefer a larger diameter handle, the dowel could make the tether strap too short which reduces its holding ability and increases the needed grip strength to hold on.

• Baller_

If it's a plastic D ring don't use them. It is weak and I've broken many in load positions..scary. That's an older model glove. They've gone to metal rings now..better. I experienced the same dig. Place the D ring over an opening and tap with hammer to put a slight bend so that the bend puts the ends away from wrist when put back on. Totally will eliminate dig if that's the experience.

d7h14jn63ntp.jpg

I have found the vice to be the best glove for me. I've had the Clinchers, ML and they don't compare to the Radar. I will be needing to replace a model from 2 years ago and have heard the newer ones are better; however, they run smaller. I guess that gives me a reason to go visit and support my friends / local dealer. Currently I wear a medium with a .94 ML curved setup.

• Baller

I have run strap gloves for 25 years. Great for grip, elbow tendonitis and also really reduce wear to the hands. I remove dowels to prevent hang up on release.

First time new pair sand the straps lightly or they will be slippery and you will think the grip sucks. Rough 'em up a little and grip is fantastic.

Loved clinchers, have been thru radar and ML. Radar is built the best tho I felt bulkier than ML's so lately ML's for me...initially some durability issues but support was great.

Dowel in or out grip is amazing on all...but I don't like momentary release hang-ups into 5 ball on my tough passes so dowels out for me. Still can happen just a lot less frequently.

• Baller

I love the strap gloves. I use them because they protect my hands and keep me from getting blisters. I do have kind of wimpy skin. I have never had an issue with the handle hanging up but I only ski into -35 so it might be more of an issue on shorter line lengths.

My biggest issue is it seems like the fit of gloves changes every year (not just a clincher type glove issue). I don't live near a ski shop so I have wound up ordering a replacement pair in the same size and they fit totally different.

• Baller
The gloves are the best. Would be great if you could get a winter version. We ski year round in Vancouver BC (best water - no other boats). Potential for spring and fall use? Or a size with the fingers thick enough to put liners and latex dry suit gloves underneath (Wiley's sells)