Do you ski in stock boots or something else ?

dchristman

• Baller

Recent discussions made me wonder how many here have customized their boots in some way.

Have you been injured as a direct result of your modification? I think I have nearly always modified my boots in some respect for the last nearly 40 years. Perhaps coincidentally, I broke my foot in the one I didn't modify.

• Administrators
My right ankle is PERMANENTLY damaged from a fall 10 years ago. I was using a homemade clone of a commercial design. It was 100% my fault and because my clone binding was not as safe as the original.

• Baller_
You're kinda missing the injury part in the choices. But none for me..knock on carbon. Not sure folks would admit to injury having done their own mods or complete custom set ups. I'd never suggest mods or custom set ups. I do give my rational for those looking at mine. And certainly listen to those that have other ideas and have the knowledge and experiance to backup what they are saying.

• Baller
Im on the supershell now but im quite scared if it release and the rear foot is still in the binding last time that happend (long time ago)3 month on crutches and 11 month for total recovery maybe its possible to do some OTF in very slow speeds an have the release tension set low and rear foot binding very lose to practice !

• Baller
Have used many types - simple 1970's rubber adjustables, rubber plates, Animals and now XMax. Broke my front ankle in '92 in a Connelly plate, then broke it again in '01 in the Animals. Freak wipe outs - can't blame either one on the bindings.

• Baller

Stock D3 Leverage pretty much since they first came out. Tried the first iteration of Strada boots, couldn't get consistent with them, went back and been there since.

Too much velcro, not enough velcro, gotta change out the velcro X number of times a season, gotta get the tensioner set JUST right... You guys can have your hard shell whatever's. Too many variables in the equation, heard too many injury horror stories, and not enough water time to be worth screwing with it. Never had a Leverage not release when it needed to.

• Administrators
It would be interesting to cross reference this with skiing level. My guess is the average baller (who never posts or even signs in to the site) is in bone stock boots.

• Baller
Connelly sidewinder fronts for years. First generation (white) was as dangerous as the draft binding they made with the cables that would snap out of the base. Gripped too well and you wouldn't always come out. Second gen (black) with the fabric insides have been great. Radar artp on the backs, considering one of those new sorta rtp/sorta boot for the rear net season.

• Baller

I actually injured myself multiple times in stock reflex boots last year despite having tested the release on land. Nothing really terrible just three ankle sprains (two requiring crutches and 1 month each off the water), but the problem ended up being that the top latch was coming undone while skiing or during the fall (it's hard to say). Thus my foot wasn't loading the release mechanism properly when I fell and hence the numerous ankle sprains.

I made a slight modification to prevent de-latching at the beginning of this year and have had no issues whatsoever since. In my case I have skinny shins, which might have changed the geometry of the latch mechanism outside of reasonable parameters; so that might explain why I had issues with the stock system. Still, I took care to set the release mechanism correctly and followed the available documentation explicitly.

I still love the reflex system, use it, and recommend it. However, I don't fully agree with @Horton when he says "For Reflex users.... If you get your release setting right you are good to go".

Definitely make sure the release is set correctly, that is very important, but then make sure that the latch on your top-cuff is secured and can't come loose in a fall or while skiing. I'm not sure how prevalent the issue is but it sucks when it happens to you. There is a post detailing my modification in this thread

• Baller
Using modified Profile front and Vector rear. Its taken me a couple of seasons to get the best out of these boots. My ankles are not huge so I pack the boots out with extra foam padding between the shells and liners. On the rear i don't run the laces through the top hole and run it loose. The front I run just snug, gives me a good range of forward back with plenty of lateral support.

• Baller

I ski in stock boots Reflex with R-Style rear, but I added a wedge under the rear boot to compensate for limited ankle flexibility. My ankle was injured in a 2004 crushing OTF fall with double HO Animal bindings where the rear foot only partially released. Reflex were new in 2015. I skied on Fluid Motions for 10+ years with the heel built up inside the bindings to aid for lack of rear ankle flex.

pwpxommtlbrj.jpeg

nw8mud9xq481.jpeg

• Baller

Reflex / R-style since about 2010, use the aluminum straps on the front so I always have the same tension. If between sizes go to the smaller, I have to open the buckets every pass but the control and security feels better. Do not worry about the r-style, it will always release, keep it as tight as you can stand, otherwise your back foot might come out during your pass.

Yes, I did hurt with it once, my fault, during a competition, out of control, trying to get an extra buoy my back foot released putting stress on the back of my front leg, a bad muscle sprain put me a couple of months out.

Allways check your gear for loose screws and wear, I think I am on my second or third release already, but I do ski a lot, about 300 sets/year.

One last thing, go for the G10 plates, the carbon plates break too fast.

• Baller
I use Radar Vectors now but was a die hard HO Animal user because of their simplicity and range of flexibility. The vectors are easier to get on but I miss the ability to twist my foot around like I could in the animals but I think that was also a bad habit. I don't get enough water time to tinker a lot so I need something that works out of the box.

• Baller

My front ankle is chronically loose, and has spurs on the bone. I took too much abuse from tail skip outs, and volleyball back in my 20's, and early 30's. That boot is very stiff side to side and front to back. Ben Favret and I built the first version of it in his garage many years ago (i think this is version 3).

I have noticed that most of the versions of hardshells have gotten much stiffer over the years. I may have to try something new this season!

Now , I just need to come up with something for my hip!

ps: I think the rust gives a manly look

• Baller
I still find Strada to be a reliable release. I actually lace them fairly tight, but have to be a bit looser in the rear to ensure a good release. I can easily see how control may improve with a Reflex, but I've never felt I had a real control issue on Radars. Still love the setup and about to own my 4th pair

• Baller

I thought about getting a Reflex front but I didn't want to waste 10-20 sets getting adjusted to hardshells. One year ago I went to a Vapor front with RTP.

I would recommend the Vapor boot to anyone who wants a more comfortable binding but not ready for a hardshell.

• Baller

I tried modifying a black cuff Reflex boot by cutting the top cuff down like many others. Sounded like a good idea but I hated it and it also made it difficult to get my foot into the boot with a liner on.

@liquid d I damaged my ankle pretty bad by a bunch of tail skips like you mentioned. It was a couple years ago. It was bad enough that it was hindering my mountain biking throughout the winter because my ankle was so weak and I struggled to handle the bumps/jumps. I switched to the white cuff boot 2 seasons ago, lowered the release setting, and tightened the flexion strap as tight as it would go. My ankle is almost completely back to normal now.

• Baller

I'm strongly considering the bondo molded heel block mod on my reflex plate. Any one have suggestions on how they've done one?

That's the only mod I have any desire to do on my Reflex setup, and it won't change the setup, but guarantee my correct placement at all times. That and a bit of extra lateral support. Seeing that the super shell takes this mod and makes it stock, says to me, its worth doing.

• Baller

@disland - hard but valid question. I think there can be high performing hardshells, and there can be high performing rubber boots. The only way one could be an improvement over the other is if the "fit, form, function" of the boot once integrated with the skier actually yields better results. Not just in buoy count, but all around control, consistency, repeatability, etc.

• Baller
Stock Vapor boots. I ripped a calf muscle in O'brien rubber boots (the ones that laced up the back), broke a toe in Wiley boots. Switched to RS1 Radar when they were first introduced and have been in their boots since without injury.