21 Pigozzi Robert 37.93 20.69 29.31
23 Finlayson Trent 13.79 41.38 27.59
23 Luzzeri Matteo 27.59 27.59 27.59
25 Brantley Tom 20.69 24.14 22.41
26 Kolman Martin 17.24 10.34 13.79
27 Yager Tyler 3.45 17.24 10.34
28 Efverstrom Johan 6.90 6.90 6.90
28 Parsons Nick 10.34 3.45 6.90

The task of creating this list is mostly about filtering and sorting Event Placements and Event Scores. The source data is the IWWF World Rankings list and the results from any Pro Events during the same period of time.

Process:

1) Find all Pro Events during the IWWF October Ranking List Calendar Year. Men's Events need 12 or more entrees and Women's Events need 10 or more entrees to make the list. The US Masters is the only exception. The World Championships is the only amateur event used.

2) Find all skiers who skied in 3 or more of the Pro events. The result is 29 skiers for the men.

3) For each event assign each skier a Placement Score based on the skiers placement. See notes for formula*.

4) Find the 3 highest Placement Scores per skier and add them together for a Cumulative Placement Score. Sort the skiers by Cumulative Placement Score to create the ranking. This is the first half of the data set.

5) Find the 3 highest buoy count scores per skier from all L/R tournaments. Only the highest round per skier per tournament is taken.

6) Add the 3 scores together to create a Cumulative Buoy Count Score. Sort the skiers by Cumulative Buoy Count Score to create the ranking.

7) Once the two lists are sorted by their respective scores the supporting data is set aside. What remains are two ranking lists. One list created by the sum of 3 tournament scores and another created by the sum of the 3 best placement scores.

8) The same formula* used to create the Placement list is applied to both the tournament scores and placement scores ranking lists.

9) The average of Tournament Scores and Placement Scores Rankings is the skier's final ranking score.

10) The skiers are sorted once again based on this score and given their final placement.

Notes:

*Ranking Score Formula per event

=100-(100*(placement-1)/number of skiers in event) = Ranking Percentile

Events Used

Moomba Masters
US Masters

Swiss Pro

Malibu Cup

SanG ProAm

Mailbu Open

Cali ProAm

US Open

World Champ

• Administrators

Fun part of doing these lists is really looking at all the data. Freak'n Parrish ran 1.5 at 43 off 4 different times last year and Smith did it only once but Smith won every event he entered. Who is really the better skier? In imperfect tournament conditions Smith is king but in terms of pure ball count Parrish was the winner last year.

Also.... "Winter is coming"

• Administrators
The reason we started this list last year is that I personally believe the Elite list is a flawed model. I hope the skiers look at this method as a possible alternative to the current method.

• Baller_

Thanks Matt!

I know there is lots of data and many ways to slice it. However, one thing that isn't clear is how the % relate to actual scores or actual performances. i.e. is the #29 skier 3 buoys (on average) behind the leader or 2 passes?

Maybe add a column for sum of placement at 3 events (perfect score of 3) low score is better?

Just trying to find more work for you!

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Administrators

@Bruce_Butterfield It is all placement/ranking. For CP as an example - we took his 3 scores of 1.5 @ 43 (73.5 balls I think) and added them up. The sum of his 3 best scores gave him the highest 3 score average earned him a 100.

So we used =100-(100*(placement-1)/number of skiers in event) = Ranking Percentile for both sub lists.

• Baller

@Bruce_Butterfield we created the percentile system because buoy scores from event to event are not comparable directly due to conditions ect. So the percentile is given for each event based on the number of skiers in attendance at each event. Coming in third at the San Gervasio ProAm (12 skiers) was a percentile of 83.33 compared to coming in third at Worlds was worth 96.77 (62 skiers) and third at Masters( 8 skiers) was worth 75. The more skiers in attendance created more competition thus weighting events with more skiers worth more. Just using placement of 3rd place for each event would allow the events with less skiers/ competition to be equally weighted across the board.

Does that help at all?

• Administrators

@Stathis Ventouris Nate as one score of 1.5 at 43 and a bunch of scores of 1. We took his top 3 scores. CP had more than 4 scores of 1.5 so his 3 score average is higher.

I think that socre of Nate's was after the cut off for the current year IWSF data set (@MattP please confirm this point)

• Administrators

@B_S thanks. Last year Matt and I spend a LOT of time thinking about how to do this. I have a sneaking suspicion that some Baller gave us the idea for the solution but I do not exactly recall so I will take credit :smile:

This year it was pretty easy. Matt complied the data and I checked it and made a tweak or two and then he found my mistakes (repeat a few times) and we were done. Luckily the IWSF data is a lot cleaner than it was just a year ago.

I think the athletes need a better official ranking. Even if this is not the ultimate solution I firmly believe it is better than the Elite list.

• Administrators

BallOfSpray     Elite
1 Smith Nate   1 Smith Nate
2 Winter Frederick   2 Winter Frederick
3 Parrish Chris   3 Asher William
4 Asher William   4 Degasperi Thomas
5 Howley Joel   5 Howley Joel
6 Degasperi Thomas   6 Parrish Chirs
7 McClintock Jason   7 Odvarko Daniel
8 Travers Jonathan   8 McClintock Jason
9 Vaughn Corey   9 Travers Jonathan
10 Bartalsky Martin   10 Detrick Brian
10 Wilson K.C.   11 Sedlmajer Adam
12 Odvarko Daniel   12 Vaughn Corey
13 Sedlmajer Adam   13 Allais Carlo
14 Detrick Brian   14 Wilson K.C.
15 Allais Carlo   15 Bartalsky Martin
16 Stadlbaur Benjamin   16 Ronkko Pietari
16 Neveu Stephen   17 Pigozzi Robert
18 Winter Terry   18 Stadlbaur Benjamin
19 Adams Nicholas   19 Adams Nicholas
20 Napolitano Davide   20 Burdick Cale
21 Ambrosi Sandro   21 Neveu Stephen
21 Pigozzi Robert   22 Napolitano Davide
23 Finlayson Trent   23 Luzzeri Matteo
23 Luzzeri Matteo   24 Ambrosi Sandro
25 Brantley Tom   25 Caruso Brando
26 Kolman Martin   26 Julio Javier
27 Yager Tyler   27 Brantley Tom
28 Efverstrom Johan   28 Winter Terry
28 Parsons Nick   29 Campbell Glenn
      30 Hayden Diehl
      31 Finlayson Trent
      32 Miranda Felipe
      33 Collot Jeremie
      34 Efverstrom Johan
      35 Koleman Martin
      36 Garcia Taylor
      37 Correa Santiago
      37 Morros Peyri IVan
      37 Parsons Nick
      40 Mapple Andy
      41 Spinelli Luca
      42 Schultz-Soren Victor
      43 Dailland Thibaut
      44 Wing Joel
      45 Yager Tyler
      46 Morgan Mike
      47 Wingerter Dave 
      48 Nathanail Yiannis
      49 Dailland Tanguy

• Administrators

The above post shows a comparison between the IWSF Elite list and the Baller list. I understand that that the idea of the Elite list was a good one when it was designed. The fact that there are no longer any World Cup stops kills about 90% of my original objection to the Elite method but I still question the weighting based on prize money.

Why do we care? First of all the Elite is list defines most of the entries to the Masters. Since the Masters is the most exclusive event every year this is a big deal.

In some countries an athlete may get funds depending on the Elite list. In years past this was true - I am not sure if this is still the case.

• Administrators
@Than_Bogan as the World Cup has failed the method for the Elite list is less wrong. It is too bad that the World Cup was such a cluster but it for sure skewed the Elite list.

• Elite Skier
Weighting on prize money does seem kind of ridiculous. One big money event out in the middle of nowhere with shocking skiing conditions and a winning score at 35off would totally skew the whole list. An equal weighting would make much more sense to me, as in Formula 1. If some tournaments really do need to be more heavily weighted in terms of points it should be based on how distinguished the tournament is (Masters, Worlds) or how long it has been running.

• Baller
@FWinter when we were originally designing the system last year I know @Horton and I tossed around the idea of weighting a tournament like Masters more but moved away from that idea in the end to make all things equal. If you have any suggestions or ideas to improve our current systems I would be all ears.