What is snow skiing?

Creeker

• Baller

@lpskier As a skier from way south of the Mason Dixon line, I disagree. The (one or do both rounds count?) time I skied in a snow storm, I found it much easier on my eyes than the heavy rains I seem to get at Regionals or Nationals when I ski.

Broadside in Idaho should be a respite as the weather there has a good chance of being fantastic in August.

@Creeker Watch the movie GNAR because "I'm the best skier on the lake!"

Eric

• Baller

Skied on the Connecticut River for a while, just above Wilder Dam. In the late 1960's.

Every Fall, I'd wait later and later before hauling the boat in for the Winter. Columbus

day, Halloween, Thanksgiving. One year, about December 5th, the river froze. Uh-oh,

since the launch ramp was several miles upriver. Fortunately, it warmed up a bit, and

the ice broke. However, not in the cove where the launch ramp was. Circled the boat

round and round to create waves to break the ice.

• Baller_
@oldjeep, I've skied that run at Winter Park in 1983 and 1987, but not in any races. When I got back to Michigan from that second trip, I quit snow skiing here. It just didn't compare. I've done a little snowboarding with the kids, but that's it.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@eleeski: I have used snow ski wax in my 'secret' mix for water ski jumps. Swix LF10 or

LF8. Proportions approximately 1/3 Paraffin, 1/3 Carnauba, 1/3 Swix. Not cheap. Nearly $200 for the materials, mainly for the Swix. The proportions vary for the region's

climate. More Carnauba in the hot South. Started brewing my own after the Tour spazzed

out ordering/receiving jump wax in year 2000.

• Baller_
@adkh2oskier I wasn't expecting it to snow! I've thought about goggles in the rain, but I'm worried about the aftermath in an out the front fall. Recall before I had LASIK I skied in a racquetball goggle with polycarbonate Rx lenses. They worked pretty well in the rain, but less well than you'd think.

Lpskier

• Baller

If you think waterski jumping is crazy, try Nordic jumping. The inrun is slick and unstable - and steep. The skis are long and heavy and barely attached to your feet. The boots have no useful support (actually when I fell, my feet came out of the boots to act as a release). The runout has a wild transition (that might be fun on any other skis).

In the air was really fun though.

The more I jumped, the worse I got. No desire to go back now.

Eric

• Baller
@lpskier Did it snow the day after Christmas when you got a pull on Lake Placid? I've only used snow ski goggles once in late fall w a few flurries. More likely to use cheap safety goggles in the spring when the black flies are really bad, they really hurt hitting your eyeballs.

• Baller_
@adkh2oskier No, the day after Christmas was beautiful. My snow storm experience was four falls ago when we first put the new course on Oseetah Lake. We had a full enclosure on the Nautique, so "inside" it was toasty. Outside, not so much.

Lpskier