Denali -New version. New review.

Wish

• Baller_

So I was sent a ski from what will be the production mold a few weeks ago. Weather has played a part in not getting a ton of sets on it and there was some fin tweaks. But yesterday prompted me to write this. Overall, this is a better ski then the proto but the proto is/was hands down the best ski I've ever ridden and is so connected with GUT and the Denali philosophy as a whole that I did run more 38s then all my other skis combined. Cannot say enough about that ski. But yesterday after Cord suggested a setting, my mind was officially blown. Went out at 32 and ran it with ease (my 28 opener on the proto became a useless pass very early on). As each ball approached on this opening 32, I became earlier and by the time I got to 6 the tip of the ski tapped it on the way back to the wake. I really don't think that has happened before were the progression down the course gets better. My driver (same diver that's been with me since the proto) literally asked me at the end of the lake if the pass was getting better towards the end. That's the first time I've ever been asked that. So I told him to shorten to 35 as another 32 seemed rather pointless. The next 2 35s felt like the 32s. I actually over skied the first one. The only reason I did not go to 38 was having to wait on some boat traffic and my foot fall asleep in the boot. Rain then followed. My next shot will be Tue and will try to get video.

So what is the magic....SCIENCE!!

All kidding aside, there has been some refinement that has taken place. Result is just a better ski as if that was even possible (see my original review). Visually the skis extremely unique tunnel is a bit more subdued. I'll be honest and say that I was a bit worried that something got sacrificed for something else. Seems everything has trade offs. NOPE. There is nothing the proto did that this one doesn't only this one does it all better.

I also played a bit with trying to make things..not really.. go bad but feel it out in some unconventional ways. Wanted to find that trade off if there was one. So far I cannot find one that would make me say..hmmm, maybe this ski is not for you based on your speed, style, line length or anything else for that matter. If you're thinking of a new ski this season, this has to be on your short list.

And I will add again that your not just buying another ski, your buying into a program that backs you up. Several skiers that I know personally, experienced a similar treatment when placed on Andy's ski. Even the test rides I took made me feel like I was part of Team Mapple even if for a brief time. I can honestly say that you will get that in spades with the Adams. It's a little mind boggling to think these guys want to help the ski community this much and make you a better skier. It is a drive that is palatable. If I had to put a ratio on which was of more value, the support of the Denali family or the ski itself, for me I'd give it 50:50. Both have made me a better skier and can't imagine one without the other.

For the first time in a loooong time I am excited and I mean excited about my skiing and that is a direct result of the ski and the support. Watching videos in the past of myself in slo-mo thinking ...ya I really nailed it that time.. has always been somewhat of a disappointment and a reality check. Now I am just amazed by them. So's my driver. That just cannot be me. That cannot be 32. That can't be 35.

I'm really looking forward to this coming season with this ski and the support of the Denali family, (thank you as well Austin Able), If I can stay out of my own way mentally, this should be my best season to date. Crap.. I just got into my own head. Hay Adams, you got any science that works on techniques for between the ears?

Video to come.

• Supporting Member

Holy crap dude. They made it noticeably better already!?

On the one hand, I'm on record saying a big part of why I'm excited to be part of Team Denali is that I view them as the "fastest moving train." So I suppose I sort of predicted this...

But I'm still not sure I can believe it. :)

@Wish, I hope to see you doing something at -39 this summer!

• Baller_

Ok, Update. And no, not an April fools joke. Although it is odd it happened this evening. So went out as the sun was going down do to glass conditions. I sent Cord some stills earlier in the day that @OB1 (he gets credit) had sent to me of my 38 attempt a few days ago. Tip a bit up and delaying the turn 1,2 and 3 ball. I did not catch that as I was so focused on how much speed the ski was taking though the turn in complete control. So Cord made a suggestion and as usual he made the ski even better. Ran a 32, 32, 35, 35 which felt great and better then a few days ago so what the heck, take a crack at 38. Only it turned out to be a completed pass. And not a scrappy one, or with whole lot of effort. Dang.. that was kinda easy. I know..totally jinks myself. So I stuck with that feeling and finished the set with 2 more 35s.

So my ONLY conclusion is that it MUST be October, I must be 15lbs less and must have at least 20 attempts at 38 under my belt. ..Reality..Its April 1st, I'm fat and that was the second attempt at 38 on the production ski for which I have been through 5 separate test settings since I got it. It ain't me people...Denali is the real deal. Go getcha some.

• Baller_
Agree. But it was literally getting dark. There was noooo plan to even shorten to 38. Was just testn some numbers. It just felt to good not to reel it in. I blame the driver for not shortening to 39.. ;)

• Baller
Denali isn't just about the ski, although it is terrific! It's about the support and access to the Adams and to the Denali skier group, many of whom have tested a great number of ski settings and GUT theories. Couldn't be happier with my decision to ride the Denali!

• Baller

Well I got to try @Wish prototype version of the ski briefly (one set as I was hustling getting my vacation plans together).

Two things that stood out to me was: The ski looks like one half of a combo set but it doesn't feel vastly different to all the other high end skis out there. You might think you have to change whatever it is you do to ride it but that is not the case.

I did not feel like I was turning or accelerating but arrived early before the buoys on both sides with no percieved effort.

One set was what it took for me to pull the plunge, thank you @Wish for graciuosly hosting a demo set, can't wait to ride the production model.

• Baller_
@DanE Glad you enjoyed your time. Was nice to meet you. That's pretty much the same feel we have all had and described from a first ride. The ski sort of mutes speed variations in acceleration (but it does accelerate) and deceleration as well as mutes the usually felt edge change. It does a lot automatically and leaves a whole bunch of space before the ball that took a bit to get used to. That feeling of low input and low effort needed is also different. You looked very comfortable on it and all we did was bolt your boots on it and ski. You are one heck of a good skier by the way. Hope to see you again sometime. Enjoy your new Denali.

• Baller
I'm on the list for a Denali. Haven't heard any recent updates on how production is going or whether the May 1 ship date is still good. How is the testing/manufacturing coming along, and what changes/tweaks are being considered for the final version?

• Baller

@One_Ski The Denali skis will start shipping on May 1. As far as testing we finished the design about 6 weeks ago and started working on the production molds at that time, as well as dialing the flex and fin settings with our semi top-secret test team.

The changes from the ski that most skiers rode in the fall and this final version are not huge, but they do make for a better ski. We found that that ski worked very well for people when the settings were correct for them, but some people struggled if the settings were off. Our changes to the ski were made specifically to address this issue.

With the 2016 Denali the running joke has been that so long as you have the fin installed you'll be ok. It's extremely user friendly with setup, and we have found that we can run different setups to achieve different characteristics depending on what the skier wants and what they may be used to. For instance we can run short/deep settings like the old HO or Obrien numbers, or we can run long/shallow settings like what Radar is using now, and both setups work very well. Also pretty much anywhere in between is good too, it just changes how the ski rides and rotates.

We will not release "stock" fin settings for the ski, but we will send the ski with what we believe is the best starting setup for each skier. On the Denali support forum people are able to post their settings, ask questions, post videos, etc. so that we can quickly and easily get them dialed in on the ski. That method has worked very well and it allows everyone to see what is or isn't working for other Denali skiers, and also to learn about setups.

• Baller

My turn, but first a little background. I'm a 56 year old, untalented, 5'10", 170 pound, inefficient skier who has been around this sport for close to 30 years. I've been fortunate enough to know and ski with a lot of the worlds best skiers but not smart enough to really benefit from that association. Somehow I can get around 2 or 3 at 38 if enough things go right. So far this year I've spent all my time at 28 trying to make it feel decent and consistent.

Adam Caldwell provided a ski to me last weekend after I skied and set it up (everything but the wing, which I told him I would take care of before I rode it). A couple of days later, I take it out for the first ride and go about 40' wide of 1. The set is a series of feeling some really good qualities about the ski but never being able to get comfortable or find a rhythm. As soon as I get off the water, I text Adam "we need to talk". Right after I sent it, I realized that I forgot to set the wing. I checked the wing and it's somewhere around 7, and I was told to put it at 9. So yesterday I ride it again with the wing set at 9 and almost immediately I realize I might be riding the best ski I've ever been on. So I run some 28s, I don't know how many but quite a few. I have this nagging feeling that I'm working way harder than I should be so I try to ski without any effort at all, pretty much just try to stay centered and point it where I want to go and I go out the gate feeling like I haven't done anything at all.

Another thing about my skiing is that I can butcher a heel-side turn like you wouldn't believe, quite often that ends with me in the water at 2 or 4 or so out of position I don't get to the next buoy in very good shape. I tried to do that on this ski several times and it was almost as if the ski was talking to me saying "wow, you really f'd that turn up, but relax and get back over your feet and I'll get you to the next buoy with plenty of time to get through the pass".

At the end of the set, I shorten to 32 (the only attempt this year) and it's easier than any 28 I've run on my other ski. I shorten to 35 and get half way through it with a crap gate.

I can't wait for the next set on this ski. Is anybody looking for a slightly used Nano One XT?

• Baller
@9400 -- that's the thing. The ski seems to know what you do wrong, and fix it anyway. Early season I make a lot of mistakes. This year I haven't missed a pass at 32 off and I've only skied a couple sets (maybe 15 passes at 32). That doesn't sound remarkable, perhaps. However, the thing is that on any other ski I would have been in the lake multiple times with mistakes at the turn. The Denali, just gets under my feet and takes me to the other side of the wake. Hard to describe what's happening, but it is pretty cool!

• Baller

We could write a book on what is going on with this ski, and by design, what this ski is doing for the skier on the water. But, thats part of the magic...

Truth be told, Richard Lacey, @9400, has been around the development of the Denali since I built the first one on the property at trophy lakes several years ago. We have become good friends and ski partners and have helped each other immensely. He has pulled me hundreds of sets, on nearly every iteration we have been through over the years. To say I was both excited and nervous for him to finally try the Denali, for the first time ever, was an understatement. Having watched Richard try nearly every new ski that comes through the TL proshop and consistently going back to his ol' trusty 9400,I knew this might possibly be the hardest ski sale I could ever make.

Witnessing his opening 22 off pass flow nearly seamlessly into and out of both sides of the course was an incredible thing to see. Cutting to 28 just looked even better, but after the third or fourth one it just looked like too much rope. Knowing he had not been to 32 yet this year, I was unsure what was going to happen. Seeing the 32 off pass look almost easier than 28 was overwhelmingly cool. Not sure I had seen a smile on his face that big in a very long time. Huge relieve and amazing to watch all the hard work pay off.

Its official. Richard Lacey is hanging up the 9400.

Video is below if anyone is interested.

• Baller_

Those videos are very interesting. You can see 9400's bad habits (no criticism, we all have them) but the ski seems not to care and keeps doing what it should.

I can also see that some of the minor quirks of the protos have been greatly smoothed out.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

@Bruce_Butterfield the 2016 ski is definitely more refined than the test skis that you and others rode in the fall. We really focused on making the ski work well right out of the box and not require much tuning.

@9400 have you gotten any more sets on the ski? Still like it?

• Baller
@AdamCord still love it, tons of potential, but I have work to do on the Pilot. The funny thing is that this ski is so easy on the body that I suddenly feel years younger and can work on me deeper into the set. 3 sets the last 4 days and I feel pretty fresh.

• Baller_

Denali = Fountain of Youth.

100% agree and as you start unlocking GUT with the Adams, it just gets easier. Found that out again just the other day. After adopting a technique suggestion from Cord off the Denali Team Forum, my legs (usually the first thing to give out letting me know the set is over) felt like I had gone for a walk in the park, not 8 32 off passes. Went to KLPs the next day with a stiff head tail and buoys everywhere (8 ball course) I ran 8 more with a new boat, new driver, new site and ZO. That should not have gone as well as it did.

• Baller
No sheet...I actually got an ID request yesterday for age verification. It was obviously her first day on the job (very, very obviously) but still less than a week on the Denali and my first carding in at least 25 years.

• Supporting Member
Ok, that is an effin' bizarre coincidence. The exact same thing happened to me shortly after I got on the Denali last fall. I don't think I had been carded in at least 10 years prior to that. I found it so odd that I actually posted about it on the Denali forum.

• Baller_
@acmx And very much worth the price of admission. I've recently been reading a thread on the Denali Team Forum related to Cale Burdick's skiing. Started to implement what was being said by Cord to him. I've had 2 sets with the suggestions and am thrilled..ok..giddy (@Than_Bogan term) with the results. And it's not just the high end skiers that benefit from the forum. I am no Cale. Not even close. He posted a vid of 39 going down rather easy in a full baggy and one can assume frign cold water. Geeeez that guy is cat like on the water. But because GUT is universal and already fully and openly shared by the Adams, it does not matter what the line length or speed. That particular advice just happened to be specific to Cale but after I read it and went back and looked at some of my videos.. me as well. The advice you get from the Adams to you in the forum is specific to your skiing as you ask questions or post videos. But, many benefit from the advice as it is all directed and centered around GUT. I'm confident that someone that maybe skis a slower speed and/or longer lines then me will ask a question to which the answer will have a direct positive impact on my skiing. It's a program that just keeps on giving. As time marches on and more and more skiers buy into the ski/program, the larger the forum will become with more questions asked. Add in the fact that it is all 100% slalom skiing related posts centered around slalom technique, ski/boot/fin adjustments, etc... it is a one stop spot for slalom advice where everybody already has the ground workings of GUT. This in turn makes the advice understandable, always answers the "why will this advice work?", easy to implement, with almost instantly noticeable positive results. Hate to say it but I do not think you will find that with any of the other companies.