Thoughts on using eBay for comp boat sales

Ghibli

I find it surprising that very few modern comp boats show up on eBay. There always seems to be quite a few wakeboard boats. The buyer is protected by eBay up to some amount. $50k or so. If the boat is not as advertised, the buyer can walk. The listing can be set up as an auction, a fixed price listing, or simply to field offers and counter offers. The service appears to have caught on with automobiles and leisure craft. Or maybe it's just a matter of volume and the percentage of comp boats is no different than other types of craft.

Thoughts? Would you list your boat on eBay? Would you buy using eBay? Why or why not?

• Baller
We have sold three nautiques 196 in the past on ebay. It has been several years. One buyer traveled from Alberta Canada to Texas to purchase. All transactions went fine and we sold them all for what we wanted out of them. It did take some time to get a buyer, but we usually sell in the off season.

• Baller

My hypothesis is tournament boats are a niche market and there are too many other marketing options. Ski-it-again, BoatTrader, etc.

(I bought my first boat...1979 Southwind w/454)....off Ebay)

Not sure if the rates are the same for high dollar items, but for typical items, Ebay charges the seller 10% (+10% for shipping), which is ridiculous IMO. But its free country/market right? If you don't want to pay 10%, don't use Ebay. Maybe Bernie can fix that to be fair to everyone...oops, don't ban me Horton.

• Baller
I sold my very first comp boat on E-Bay and got exactly what I wanted for it - but it was a few years back. Ski-It-Again is always good, but there are still many who don't know about it....but the price is right. If you aren't in a hurry, perhaps start with Ski-It-Again, and then pay for Boat Trader after a month or two if it doesn't sell

@Booze As long as you are low-volume seller, eBay charges nothing to list the boat and a flat $125 if the boat sells. Seems fair given the protection they offer. Makes me more comfortable if I buy the boat unseen. And the offer feature makes the negotiation much easier. There are a few comp boats listed at the moment. Would love to see some 200s. Seen a few in the past.

• Baller
I purchased a 196 on ebay, transaction went smooth. A funny story also. I used to drop by my local Nautique dealer quite often just to look at the used boats. A 196 caught my eye however I was'nt quite ready to pull the trigger. Of course when I was ready it was gone. Later I found a boat on ebay and won the auction which in itself was kind of fun. The seller lived in my state so we met half way. I thought the boat looked familer so I asked where he got it from and it came from my local dealer. It was the same one I looked at earlier! The best part was is the purchase price was 5K less than the dealer wanted.