Connelly GT - Let the review start!

Horton

• Administrators

As I write this I have not yet skied on the GT. I just put my bindings on it and set the fin. A few things strike me as I get this ski ready to ride.

Connelly makes a beautiful product. They have always been a quality manufacturer and this ski is no exception. I am picky. I know where to look for sloppy workmanship. The test GT appears to be a very well made ski.

The second thing is the fin clamp. It is fine. It does its job in an old school sort of way. It clamps the fin as well as any clamp can. The thing is that it does not have set screws. Once upon a time no one had set screws just like once upon a time there was no such thing as color TV or the internet. I did manage to get the fin set but now I have to refill my anger management prescription.

Time to find a driver and go skiing.

• Baller
I actually modified my stock fin block on the 2014 Prophecy I had in our machine shop at work. It is not terribly difficult to add set screws, in the right spots, with garage grade equipment. The point is, we shouldn't have to.

• Administrators

Those who can not read claim I love every ski so I am trying to be more clear with my criticism. That said the fin block does not make the ski.

I got rained out today but I will ride the ski tomorrow and we can start talking about it.

• Baller

I would love every ski also if they sent me a free ski,but I also know these are the best skis in the world designed with people who have different ideas what they think are best for Us and works for there style. If they all skied the same we wouldn't be on this web site. Horton does a fair job on his reviews because I don't know how many times I took out a ski for the first time and thought wow. If you an read between the lines he gives you the skis strengths and weakness. Also I know we all have different styles.

LET THE REVIEWS BEGIN.

• Baller
i was told herb obrien paid a small fortune to settle a patent infringement law suit with the guy who invented the set screw mod to the fin block. since connelly and ho are owned by the same company now maybe they're gun shy about what happened when herb owned ho? or possibly the settlement with ho prevents who ever owns ho from licensing the assigned rights to any other ski company?

• Baller_
As a die hard Connelly guy, I hate to admit that I love my Mapple fin and clamp. I understand that Radar will be using that clamp and fin as their stock product in the future. When I order my next Connelly, in addition to having it drilled for Fogman bindings, I'm getting it drilled for a Mapple fIn clamp.

Lpskier

• Administrators
I have adjusted my GT twice. The first time was miserable because I had not adjusted without set screws in so long. The second time I took a deep breath remembered how I used to do it and it really was not that bad.

• Baller
Ahhh yeah but once you get it set just go ski, small price to pay for such a good ski. I don't think fin setups are as critical on the GT as some other skis either so its not like you have to rethink your numbers every second set.

• Baller

I was able to check out a Connelly GT a couple days ago while shopping for bindings. While I didn't ski I did look at the design and build of the ski. Very well built and a really cool graphic for this ski. They do some interesting things with the way the ski is shaped on the top by the tail. The same thing goes for the forebody of the ski, just before the tip curves up. Spoke to one person who has ridden it and they said Lightning Fast and Turns are very tight - be ready to hang on!

The bindings: we bought a pair for my wife. Excellent build quality as well. A very sleek design. Seems like they are "custom fit" even though they aren't heat molded. She said they are the most comfortable boots she has had because they fit like a glove. (Her RS-1's were a smidge big since 1/2 sizes aren't available) Will be great to see how they perform.

• Baller

That's good to hear. The '13 Prophecy is one of the greatest skis ever. Like as in it should be up on a pedestal with the Goode 9100, HO CDX, and other iconic skis. But that damn fin block made me want to beat myself in the head with the ski.

Now I want to try the GT.