Rehabilitation ski

danielarice

I wrote to you last September after a crash that cost me four broken bones after a turn at 3 ball. The people who responded were helpful and encouraging so I'm writing in again for some suggestions.

Last summer I was skiing on a Prophecy with stealth bindings @ 28 off 34 mph when an unexplained (still mystifying) accident occurred that resulted in a double compression fracture in my left heel and a double twisting fracture in my right leg. Not knowing how it happened (only some speculation) I want to start this year out on different equipment. I would like some suggestions on equipment that would be good for rehab free skiing. I'm hoping there is something out there that will be stable while gaining my confidence but will bite if I need it to.

Thanks in advance

Dan

• Administrators

@danielarice Sounds like a terrible and freakish accident.

I suggest the following. Wiley Bindings on a Radar Senate. This setup is not going to get you to 35 off but it will be stable, safe and dependable.

Generally I never suggest Wiley bindings for slalom because there is a lot better stuff out there but in my mind release is the most important thing for you starting back. You do not need something stiff and aggressive to run 22 and 28 off

There are other good ski choices like the HO CX Superlite. To me a mid range Senate is maybe slower, softer and more forgiving. That sounds like what you need.

• Administrators

@RazorRoss3 @chris55 the Wiley is more pliable and easier to get out of.

HO Animals or D3 leverage are classic / great old school bindings but both are sort of stiffer than the Wiley.

• Baller

My job here is to disagree with @Horton . So I will not recommend the Wiley's bindings for slalom for injury rehab. I hurt my foot badly in Wiley's jump bindings. They are hard to get in and out of even if your foot is not injured. And they are very heavy.

Animals aren't much better. The EVA animals probably started the switch to hardshells because the EVA would stiffen after a couple years and the stiffness changed the release we were used to and caused injuries.

How do you get in or out of Stealth bindings? The couple times I rode them were scary.

Maybe a Reflex would work for your rehab. I don't have enough experience with them to recommend a setup but there are people who might be able to help you.

I recommend a Radar Vapor boot. Get it slightly large and replace the stock thin liner with a thick Intuition liner. This gives a bit more squishyness so your foot can release when needed. Run new bungee laces nice and loose. Radar boots are very dangerous when cinched down and tight but I've skied safely (and reasonably well) with damaged feet and ankles with a comfortable Radar setup. Plus you can easily get in and out of them without stressing things in your foot.

The rear boot I like best is a cuffless hardshell. Like the Reflex R but I have never skied one so I'm not positive on the exact brand. I built my own with an Intuition liner and it releases well, allows a good range of motion and is comfortable.

As far as skis go, I will defer to @Horton - maybe. You could also just upsize your ski. Things should feel the same so when you decide you are fully healed and ready to go full speed, there will be little transition of skills.

Speedy recovery,

Eric