New kandy paintjob @ malibu echelon

Timalibu

What details do you like to have?

Paint specs: jet black basecoat, voodoo house of kolor candy ratio 25% / 1 liter clearcoat, roth beatnik purple 0.4 flakes.

3 Coats h.o.k clear with flakes over the base.

6 coats of candy and after that 3 coats clear. So for Your mention Its a Hell of a job and very expensive tough.

I try to replicate the New malibu wakesetter color

Scratches / cracks on custom paint is f#cked up.

I'm glad to own a paintbooth thats make everything a lot easier. So a repaint is always possible.

Spotrepair isn't possible When kandy /flake paint is used.

(Sorry for my crapy English "dutch")

• Baller
Looks amazing! I don't mean to thread Jack but this brings up a question that I have been trying to answer. A friend of mine has a boat that has major gel coat fade to the point that it doesn't buff out anymore. He's considered doing a vinyl wrap to refresh the look but didn't realize re-painting was an option. He was under the impression that damaged gel coat didn't repaint well. Is this true or would re-paint be a viable option? Given the way your boat turned out, it appears to me that he's been misinformed

Stresscracks? If thats the problem you certainly have to fix that before painting the boat. Otherwise it will fuck up the paintjob.

Hard to say. But in my opinion is vinyl wrapping a beter solution. When the gelcoat isn't in perfect condition

• Baller
Looks good so far. Good choice on limiting the amount of area for that candy color with metal flakes. I've found it really tough to shoot metal flakes evenly over large areas. Everything will look perfect until you get it in direct sunlight and then you start seeing streaks where you overlapped.

When using candy concentrate over metal flakes, you cant see any tigerstripes(overlapping flakes) because the candy created allot of depth. I also shoot 4 layers of metal flakes.

Ofcourse you have to paint the kandy correct. You have 1 chance to do it correctly!!! Otherwise you have to repaint the whole object!

• Baller_

@Timalibu: great looking interior, what specific vinyl materials are you using. Excellent color combo. Where do the panels in the background go, the ones with the storage pockets and did you source the bungee/netting or get it from the interior guy?

Given the era of this particular vessel, the infamous teal/strawberry addiction for that short period, will the current love affair with greys/silvers have the same outcome, personally I don't think so but who knows.

• Baller_
@Tim: nice shots, what year Echelon. Mill looks very nice I assume intake manifold in upper left corner of pic is not yours! Details on what you are doing to engine?

The intake manifold was my intake manifold. (Ski tournament) 7zt01v13w6co.jpg

Because my boat is running on propane I had to have a bigger intake (edelbrock with a impco 425 mixer as you can see on the picture) this intake create more flow.

Engine an 5.7 gm 350.

Custom crankshaft. o5l97qhnrzac.jpg

Vortech heads

0.80 oversized JE pistons

Eagle camshaft

Msd ignition

And lots more......

Propane decrease the performance for about 2% but Its much cheaper as gasoline here in Holland. We pay for 1liter gasoline almost $1.60 on the water and lpg (propane) 0.48cents per liter so do the math; )

The costs of an lpg installation is about 1600 euro.(DIY) with the impco 425 mixer

And 2x 50 liter tanks.

• Baller_
Nice work, looks awesome. As a test, I would verify the spark arrestor is not restricting airflow due to small diameter. Extra height over typical units is a help. Simple on-off A-B test should do the trick. Again, one great looking restoration.

Yep the two propane tanks are installed in the former gasoline tank area..

Certainly I drop some videos or pics When she's ready :)

But first there is a major problem, the engine won't rotate anymore. We think that the damper plate is installed with the wrong Size bolts.. >to long!!! So it blocks..

• Baller
I am interested to hear about how the conversion to LP goes. (To be honest I don't know anything about the conversion.) Are your LP tanks 20 pounds? How long or how many sets can you get from a tank?