Boat lift for Ski Nautique in Shallow water

david_quail

Ugh. Just purchased my first ski boat ever, am super excited, but now dealing with shallow water.

Can anyone reccomend a lift / give any advice?

- Nautique Ski 196. (draft = 22", weight = 2570lbs)

- Lake depth at the end of our 70 feet of dock is 28"

- I have to go another 80 feet to get to a comfortable depth of more than 3 feet.

We have a Floe lift for our existing Bayliner but I've heard that Shoremaster lifts can operate in much lower depths? ie. taking the leveling legs off, the fins and prop only have to clear a few inches of frame? so could handle 22" + 3" = 25" of water?

Other solutions?

Much thanks for any old secrets of the trade!

@skier2788 I *think* I understand what you're suggesting. Is there a specific lift / maker that designs an overhead lift?

Turns out my optimism of the basta is premature after talking to a dealer. The fins won't clear without 3' at least.

• Baller

@david_quail I had the same issue as you. The vertical lifts have the shallowest capability, look for one where the lift cradle nests inside the lift frame. Also a lift frame with a "V" shaped cradle will buy you a few inches. I didn't mention any specific brands since some lift manufacturers seem to be regional and I don't know what part of the US you are in.

Also what is your lake bottom make up? If it's sand or something moveable you could blast some of the lake bottom out with a jet pump to sink the lift into the lake bottom but it makes them harder to remove and your local water control authority or a lake association may not take to this too kindly. This might buy you another 4 inches of clearance.

Some lifts can be set directly on the lake bottom with out the feet. This might buy 2 inches of clearance.

• Baller
@david_quail I can't do the whole long hyperlink to short from my phone. Just Google overhead boat lift. Instead of building a cable all you use is the worm gear electric motor setup and the center pipe. Then wrap one cable in front with a hook and then one in the rear. Hook to the eye that lifts out of the bow and the round ring in the rear. No cradle to have to worry about clearance.

@Wayne Thanks for this!

Talked to the local Shoremaster dealer and they have a vertical lift fitting your description (lift cradle nests inside frame, has a "V" shaped cradle, can remove the legs. They reckon 25 inches of water would do it for the Nautique Ski. Which would be fantastic if it turned out to be true.

The good news: our lake is sandy and it'd be easy to move earth.

The bad news: I've heard the local authorities can be a bit anal about this, so one's somewhat paranoid about even thinking about it.

Thanks again. Hugely helpful.

• Baller

One can use the water flow from the propeller to move sand and clay.

o:)

Park the boat as close as feasible facing back to the shallow spot and ancor with many ropes.

Shift to fw at type 1500 rpm.

Have lunch and opps you have a 5 feet chanel an hour later.

Repete if needed.

• Baller
I would agree an overhead would be a good solution but looking at the original posters situation I have a feeling a structure to support it is cost prohibitive or local laws may not allow a permanent structure. I really searched for an overhead temporary style lift for my situation and I couldn't find one. They may exist but I just didn't find a manufacturer that does one. Would be a neet solution though.

• Baller

If you have or can build the structure to support a cable lift, since you have a Nautique, the option for a cable lift is probably your best option. If you can float the boat to the dock, it will work. Here is an example of a cable lift. Also, here a couple photos of one in use.

p7dvow2mxlh2.jpg

• Baller
I have never had an issue, but as you can see from the photos I also have a touchless cover that also protects the boat under a very large roof on a covered dock. We had a small tornado come through last spring about a hundred feet from my dock. Lots of hail damage to roofs on house, dock, metal building, 18 broken windows, totaled car from hail, but no damage to boat or touchless cover. Wind does not seem to be an issue. It really takes a lot of side force to even move the boat an inch while it is hanging, I can't imagine it ever swinging much.