New single-puck Zero Off - any planned updates?

MISkier

• Baller_

I had an opportunity to ski a 2016 boat with the new single-puck Zero Off for the first time. There was a thread here on BOS that discussed the new system and there was some mention of possible refinements that may be pursued in the new system, due to the increased sampling rate of the upgraded antenna. Are there any changes planned or in process for the new system?

The pull from the single-puck system was very strong and felt like it was on me all the time. I felt like I was chasing my passes rather than skiing them normally and easily. It will require some adaptation, if no changes are made. I normally ski behind a 2015 TXi with the dual puck system.

For reference, the original thread is here:

5.3 and ZO thread

It was originally a discussion about the new 5.3 engine, but evolved into the ZO discussion. The boat I skied had the 5.7.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

Thanks @skierjp. I didn't try that. I did move from C2 to C1 without any benefit. I'm hoping to get more opportunities to ski the new system and will try more settings.

If there are no pending changes, it will take some time to adjust.

• Baller
I'm still finishing my surgery rehab running passes on jumpers, so I can't personally comment on slalom feel, but I have had no complaints from anyone running shortline yet. All have said it "feels good". Driving I do notice a big improvement in the way the system settles in at low speeds (trick and those running really slow passes in a collegiate tournament.). There is absolutely no overspeed bounce while the system settles in no matter how clumsy you are at hammering it up to speed. I am sure kids who slalom starting at 15.5 will appreciate this, especially on short setup lakes. Boat - '16 Nautique 200 with 6.2.

• Baller_
A number of tournaments and a whole lot of great performances have been attained with the single receiver ZO. I Have absolutely no feed back from driving or skiing with anything other then 15 6.0 engines and 16 6.2 DI engines in Nautiques with this configuration. From what I have seen a few 36 mph skiers have gone up to C settings. A few 34 mph skiers down a number from from previous . My self on my 16 I run B2 where last year I used C1 . Not sure if it is the new system or the new 16 vapor ski that I am skiing on. My boat is a 6.2 package and so far has been well received as a good slalom boat.

• Baller
To me a strong boat throttles when you load it, then it is off when you are not. Weak boats to me feel like they are always on me because they are trying to play catch up when I want to be free of the boat. The boat you skied behind may have been weak.(or calibrated too weak in response to speed drop)

• Baller_
@"Eric Kelley", the boat was not making any drastic revving sounds. In fact, it hardly changed the engine sound at all. I specifically listened for that with other skiers who were heavier and pull harder than me. It was steady.

• Baller_
I skied with Regina yesterday and her 16 Malibu with a 6.0 Crusader and the single ZO reciever. Found boat to be rather firm in slalom was a bit hard to get free. Truly a nice driving boat with plenty of power on short set up. System engaged well . I do think I will go back up to C settings next time I slalom with it and not B2 just to try and shorten up the time it is on me on my pull behind the boat. Overall I think for me I just need a couple more sets with the boat . Reminder Malibu, Centurion are 1:1 boats and mastercraft and nautique are reduction gear boats. The zo feel from a 1:1 may be for some skiers require a different setting then the reduction boat they are used to skiing with. One reason why perfect pass had a more consistent feel from manufacture to manufacture was due to it being rpm based.

• Baller_
Yes, I was told it was the new single puck system. I did not look or take any pictures. I thought that ZO was really the catalyst of the single puck change, not the boat companies.

• Baller_
It was determined that the ZO software on that 2016 Prostar was an old version and was for a Nautique - no idea how that happened. The boat was re-flashed today with the correct version. We haven't tried it yet. I am hopeful it will ski much better. As one of my ski partners said: "It felt like a fight up and down the lake". I feel fortunate I was able to even run some passes. That boat felt like a locomotive to me.

• Baller_
A couple of the guys tried the newly re-flashed boat and said it was awesome. I haven't tried it, but I know they thought the same thing about the bad version that I did. So, I believe it is solved. It's strange that the version mixup occurred in the first place.

• Baller_

I skied the re-flashed MC yesterday. Much better. It is different than the double puck version. It's firm, as @Jody_Seal noted about the Malibu. I moved from C2 to C1 in my second set. I also had to do some adjusting in my gate pullout. Was really easy to overshoot the boat and get quite fast in the glide. Seems stronger before the gates as well. Some good passes. Want to ski it more.

Still no explanation as to how the ZO version was wrong in the first place.

• Baller
On June 4th we had a tournament and I skied behind a MC and SN, both with single puck. I nor anyone else that I spoke with noticed anything different about the pull. That said, every distinct brand and / or engine combination feels somewhat different. It's just that the single puck didn't seem to be a factor to anyone.

We changed to single puck on our 2012 Carbon Pro 5.7. We run a 3 blade jump prop which gives a super consistent slalom pull at 36 MPH. After the change the boat is MUCH quieter and surges less. However both of our main skiiers feel that the boat is hard to get free of now and I had to go down a letter from C1 to B1. However it is also VERY hot here, water over 90 so it is hard to say if that is all the boat. skiing into -35 and -38@ 36...

Also my experience with ZO customer service was once again horrible. They sent me the wrong password, then the wrong file. If I hadn't had industry contacts to get an engineering manager to call me I don't know if I could have got the install completed.