Slalom course proximity to shore line

gavski

• Baller

Ok, just spent the best part of 2 fays dragging my slalom course across the lake to get it closer to the shore line - protection from wind/ wash etc etc. What is the minimum safe distance from the turn buoys to the shore? Currently, the closest ball is 11.5m to the bank....fa7th5z16j6b.jpeg

• Baller

For a practice course, you can do about anything, but I don't like to have the centerline

of a course nearer than 30m or 100ft from shore. And, depending on how 'friendly'

the shoreline is. I have seen some slalom falls where the skier slides an amazing amount

of distance before stopping. This is at the elite level and deep short line.

Again, for a practice course, if the skier isn't going all out for that extra 1/4 buoy, you

can push the dimensions.

• Baller_

I believe some of the lakes at Swiss have turn buoys around 30 feet (maybe less) from shore. I'd probably ski a course with buoys that are 11.5m from shore. I would prefer if the shoreline were gradual sloping sand/turf and not trees or rocks.

I would probably have 50 feet to 75 feet as the minimum, depending on shore slope and vegetation.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

@MISkier Swiss is very close. We were in the spray zone for skiers traveling south bound. We set the water jug at the furthest point the spray reached. I've skied that lake often. I would not want to be any closer to the shoreline.

nwxrefgxwsq9.jpg

zng9lh3pqfii.jpg

• Baller
Ever get pulled up, trying too hard for one more buoy? And those back slides past the buoy? I'd feel really safe with 50+ feet, 15.25 meters. In truth, 11.5 with a soft slope, or vegetative shoreline is probably perfectly safe. I feel like that term "probably perfectly safe" is a paradox.

• Baller
Nothing is as close as @scotchipman 's setup at Utah Lake. The reeds are right up against the course. They are reeds and not land, but it's hard to convince your brain of the difference. Incredible wind protection though!

• Baller
@gavski I'd have no worries about your pictured set up. We have a 2 or 5 ball depending on your direction that is too close for most. We can ski in a SE hurricane though. We are keenly aware that we don't go for extra there if in trouble pull up and ride again another day.

• Baller

When I first moved to Florida, and in 1980, there was this extremely narrow canal next

to I-95. Pre-Okeeheelee. Referred to as Doc's Ditch, probably referencing Dr.Woofenden.

In the vicinity of each buoy, the shoreline was cut back. Some WPB skiers, such as

the Boz, would remember the site. Not just a course for EZ fun tournaments, but was a

place where elite people would ski, such as Carl Roberge. Who knows how close, and

I'm sure glad that I saw no shore-eating wrecks. May have a record of sorts for proximity.

• Baller
Some lakes are tight just because there is no room. You are blessed with plenty of room. Being an extra 5m out over the 11.5m adds lots of safety and negligible wind change. Puts you about 16.5m (55ft) from hard stuff. When Broho was built in WA it was too narrow, people hit the beach, so much so they dug it out and made it wider. Now about 60ft or so I think. Hitting shore is memorable and you don't have to be going crazy to get there if it's only 11.5m (38ft) away. Space disapears quick at 55K and 58K. Better to be safe since you can.

• Baller

AWSA used to have a standard of 50 feet clearance from the buoy to shore. The clearance is no longer specified (possibly due to liability fears) but probably a good default. Obviously the nature of the shoreline and of your setup should be considered. I scalloped out around a couple buoys to get adequate clearance - my shoreline is horrible for backwash but the narrow lake settles down very quickly.

Minimum clearances are best for water conditions. Tennis court windbreaks?

Eric

• Baller

We had our river course a little further out than Swiss, and my buddy ended up doing cartwheels in about 12" of water. Luckily it was soft muck and no rocks or logs. He came up with a mucky head though. So even if it is a "soft" shoreline, beware of tumbling falls when the ski or skier hit bottom.

• Baller
We're at about 60' or so which isn't too bad. One consideration is depth. I used to ski a course that was deep on one end but about waist deep between balls 2-5. It definitely had a different feel. At the first pro tour in MN Ed B. had the 2 ball about 35 feet from shore- and SHALLOW. I tested it first and skipped my tail out and slid way up the sand- at least it was soft. KLP described it as having the tail of the ski in ground effects- like a plane on the last few feet of final approach.

• Baller

@Nando The sweetest feeling course was a bit deeper at the buoys than behind the boat. You got great acceleration behind the boat but the ski would stay in the water no matter how hard you pushed. My best performances were on that course. (Looking for a partner or sale of that lake.)

AWSA had a depth specification as well back in the day. It was 4 or 5 feet if I recall. But I've skied tournaments in 18 inches of water. Weird feeling but I had some good performances there.

Tricking on the tidal mud flats in the SF bay was very interesting. I never fell. I was young and stupid then...

Eric

• Baller
eleeski, our shallow course was on a fairly busy lake, but sheltered from the main lake by being between a weed bed and the main lake. It was so shallow that there was a trench between the boat guides- it would have been nice to have the turn balls deeper, as it was a little squirrely. A drought forced us to abandon that one. Our city has an ordinance that specifies the boat must be 250' from shore- we get around that by permitting the course with the Sheriff with the boat path about 150' from shore- the City has always been okay with that- helps to have their lake regulation committee loaded with skiers who will give us an exception...

• Baller_
@Than_Bogan, in Michigan, the law is that the boat and skier must be at least 100 feet from a developed shoreline, dock, or raft. It is also 100 feet from other vessels or persons. The regulation is 75 feet from an undeveloped shoreline.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.