Tournament handle measurement device

TravisNW

• Baller
I run a few tournaments a year and I want to make a device to measure tournament handles. I've seen a few different designs and I'm wondering what you think is best. Links, pictures, plans, feedback, etc is all valued.

• Baller
@TravisNW, I sent you an email to the address listed in your profile. It has a great device for checking ropes. Pictures plus a parts list for construction. I got this from Dave Clark a TC in the Midwest Region. I've used it at tournaments and it's really a good design.

• Baller
@lpskier can you post or PM me your email address, I don't know how to attach the info on a PM. Or see my email address in my profile and send me an email. This is probably the best option.

• Baller

The handle specification got a bit more liberal, by about 1cm, a while ago. Used to be

the centerline of the handle, but now is the front edge. Makes it easier to make a device

to check them. In the case of curved handles, the support block is smaller.

It is unusual for a handle to be out-of-tolerance long. Usually, they are short, as about

1.48m. In my time, spanning lots of years, I can think of only one case of a cheater

handle segment.

If you are a skier who has potential to set a record, you want to be certain that your

handle does not add any length to the basic towline to put it out of tolerance. You do not

want your handle segment to be more than 1.49m.

• Baller
I had a US Gear handle measure long at Regionals once. I wound up tying a knot in it because I couldn't figure out how to fix it on short notice. I was running mid 35 off at the time so losing an inch or two wasn't going to make a difference to me. It was kind of stressful though. I should have checked it earlier.

• Baller
I wish I was savvy enough to post the pics on here. I'm getting a bunch of requests to send the info. I've got pics, a parts shopping list and assembly instructions on an email that I've been forwarding.

• Baller
Thanks @LeonL that helps a lot, exactly what I was looking for. @Chef23 that is exactly the reason I would like to have a handle measurement device, local tournaments should allow skiers the opportunity to see if their training is working and their equipment meets the tournament standards.

@TravisNW Not to quote the rule book but even at class C tournaments the chief judge has a the responsibility to be sure that the rules are being followed. Some of the rules have larger tolerances for class C tournaments others (like the length of the handle) do not. It's a really rare case where handles are checked but in reality they probably should. At least the boat crew can generally tell if something is way off.

But, to your point, since they are rarely if ever checked at local tournaments, it's usually a shocker when they tell you your handle is just a bit too long at the regionals or nationals or wherever. Some opportunity to check ahead of time is great!