Back arm, what do you do with it?

roberto

So what advice do we have for back arm position in the reach.

Wave to the crowd? High above the head!

Make a scary monster shape? Both arms high pretending to scare a kid!

Down by your side? Cool and elegant like you just don't care.

Feel your butt as though you have an itch!

Point backwards as though you've just hit a duck saying "did you see that"!

I have watched many videos, including our fearless, intergalactic leader, pros's from the Swiss comp recently and have not yet decided where to put it! I am sure their is a right place? Right now I can do any and sometimes all of those in one pass. Thoughts please.........

• Baller

I've heard other people besides @thager make the bow comment. Might work for others - doesn't work for me.

Whenever I worry about my back arm I immediately start to ski with my upper body instead of my hips. My upper arm is just along for the ride - nothing else.

• Baller
I think whatever movement that helps keep your shoulders level through the turn. If you look at skiers like the McClintock's or even T-Whisper... you'll see off arms quite high and to the point where it may be perceived as flailing but the more I study their approach the more I think it's their way to balance and keep their shoulders level.

• Baller
I've never been a fan of the full monkey move. I try to keep my off hand low and still. Limit my upper body movement because I don't have the skills for the monkey thing except for the occasional bit of experimenting around 6 ball to see if there is anything to it. Drop off hand to hip area and ski hip back to handle, keep things simple.

• Baller

1. when your hand leaves the handle, pull the chainsaw motor with it, which puts your shoulder of that arm more open and pointed to the shoreline, leaving you in a better stacked position.

2. place your hand at your outside hip waiting for you to ski the handle back to it.

3. Try to avoid reaching across your body to grab the handle, focus on #2.

Chris, love it! I hope your Mum appreciated the thought.

Some great descriptions coming out, Monkey move, pull the chainsaw, all make great pictures in the mind.

When I ski, having a mental picture, an image of what I want to do is very effective. More often than not, I ski faster than I think, pictures,shapes are recalled quickly and help me keep matters on track.

• Baller

Best advise right here:

2. place your hand at your outside hip waiting for you to ski the handle back to it.

Nothing else. Everything else about release hand is a distraction. Just put in on your hip and keep it there till you bring that hip back to the handle. Simple, leaves your mind for important stuff.

• Baller

2nd what @skibug and @A_B stated, however you have to set yourself up early in the pull off the prior buoy to do so.

If early into the next buoy with good velocity you can practice technique vehemently, if late you'll do whatever you have to do with that outside arm.

The objective; level shoulders at apex, then outside hip to inside hand, stacked, ready to go.