07 Nautique 196 Zero Off new install issue

skihart

• Baller

My neighbor just bought a 2007 196 and had the dealer put in the single puck ZO. He drove it up to the lake and tried using it. Everything works with the boat and ZO, except the it doesn't actually control the speed. It beeps after throttling up like normal but just never takes over controlling the engine. Tried it in all modes in including RPM and still the same. Actually in rpm mode it doesn't beep when you have passed the set point. It seems to have a gps signal and coordinates and speed register while driving.

The problem is that the dealer is about 6 hours away at this point. Did a little searching and could the gateway need a reflash? New updated gateway? Where is the gateway located, we couldn't find it to verify connections?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

• Baller
@skihart one of our club members just had ZO one puck system installed 2 weeks ago in his 2007 196 by the famous boat whisperer Doug Moss. Doug also had a similar issue and after research and tech support discovered an old Nautique Service Bulletin related to the wire harness installed in the 2007 196. Apparently 2 wires were installed incorrectly. It was a simple switch the wire connection that solved the problem. I will PM you Doug's contact info. He can probably point your neighbor in the right direction.

• Baller_

If you are seeing RPM on the ZO display then the CanBus wire's are correct. The communication link for the ZO needs to turned on in the ECM as the ECM is set to communicate with PP and not ZO. To my knowledge this can only be done by sending the ECM back to PleasureCraft engines for a re-flash.

• Baller

Okay well talked to Doug who really seems to know his stuff. The canbus wires may not be correct attached as per the old service bulletin. But I am pretty sure that the gauge WAS showing rpm sooooo, I will have to check that the dealer that they did send in the ecm for the flash when they did the install, ortherwise @Jody_Seal is correct and it needs to be done. Does the ecm always need a reflash in the 07's?

Will verify the rpm readings again tonight. Does the rpm reading confirm for sure that the canbus wires are connected correctly?

• Baller_
Yes if the Canbus wires are backwards then no RPM reading on the ZO. If you do not have a RPM reading then there in lies your problem, switch the wires and try again. it can be done at the dash where the Can Hi&low connect into the ZO harness behind the dash, They would just need to be switched in the pin connector which is real easy peasy.. But early 07 E-control ECM's need to be reflashed to communicate with ZO. this still may be an issue in this application.

• Baller

Well we got the ECM back from the dealer and installed it in the boat. ZO now works great BUT the boat runs rough. Seems to miss and cough quite a bit after the reflash. Could something have been changed when they did the reflash? @Jody_Seal

• Baller

Needs to relearn fuel profiles? I don't know if the ECMs in these things are adaptive, but after a flash or power removal for extended periods of time, the adaptive learning would be reset, although I wouldn't expect quite as much engine troubles as it seems you're having.