My 2016 Denali experience to date - another perspective

Razorskier1

• Baller

I've been on the new Denali since early May. No question this is a totally new ski design. The ski is remarkably fast, and holds angle extremely well. A few thoughts for those who are on or are considering the Denali. Please note that as an early tester, I've had many sets, and I think my learnings can be helpful to others.

This ski is designed almost too good. In other words, with "optimal settings", it has more speed and is more dynamic than I am actually able to handle right now. Said differently, the ski has a lot of headroom above my current ability level. I like that.

In order to make the transition from other ski designs, I have worked to make the Denali a little more familiar to my style of skiing through binding placement and fin setup.

Doing so has meant, for the time being, de-tuning the ski a little bit. I'm not wildly outside of traditional numbers by any means, but I am running a fin deeper (close to 2.52 on depth with no asymmetry right now), which is as deep as any I've run on any ski (similar to what I ran on the Razor and the Mapple 6.0). Oddly the settings I'm using are very close to what I used in all dimensions compared to the 6.0 and my Razor. So settings I've used on other skis that generate a lot of speed and/or glide well are good for this ski. The two exceptions are a little more DFT at 0.815, and more wing at 10 degrees. Bindings at 29.75, which is ahead of some skis for me, but the same as I ran on both the 6.0 and T2. I also am running ZO on A1 versus my historical C1 - which isn't something you hear often from guys that approach 200 lbs. I could explain more of that but will save it for another day.

I feel like I'm getting the benefits the ski has to offer while toning it down just enough to be within my comfort zone. 35s, which I don't miss much, are very easy and rythmic in time with the boat. Offside turns are extremely good on these settings, and onside is finally about where I like it. 38s are feeling the similar, although due to a binding blowout that I didn't notice until today, I've only been down to 4 and 5. With new binding in place (once I break it in) I'm confident 38s will fall easily as well.

As I get more accustomed to the Denali, I plan to add back performance - because there is a lot of room to optimize the ski as I understand it better. Right now I'm skiing easy passes, I have confidence in what the ski will do at the ball, and I plan to leave it as is.

So if you are on one, or considering one, I recommend that you approach it with a similar mindset.

I think some of us early learners tried to run "optimal" settings at first and struggled some. Dialing the ski back some during the adjustment period helps.

Understand that the ski is different. Understand that it is super fast. Understand that it glides remarkably well. To be successful on the ski use fin settings and binding placement to take a performance out of the ski to start, then dial it up as you gain confidence and see where it takes you.

• Baller
I'm still dialing in the ski for the moment, I have been on it for less then a month but only about 6 sets on it. For me, i've never had a better onside before (Ive skied on an A1, nano 1 and quest in the last 6 years). It doesnt stall no matter how much lean and angle I give it. But My first set on the Denali was pretty catastrophic. I couldnt run my opener (28 off @ 36) and had to slow to 34 and could run 28 but not 32. I even crashed pretty hard on my first pass going to 2 ball and hurt my neck a little. With the help of Adam Cord, I found a setting that worked okay. After that first set I freeskied 2 sets on it to get a better feeling of the ski and it worked because my first set back in the course after that, I was back at my normal skiing level for this time of year. My offside has never been great on any ski but feels good on the Denali and yes it is fast, very fast. I'm running shallower and longer than my previous skis and its working well up to now. (Depth 2.46 deep side, Length 6.935 instead of 2.5ish and 6.85ish). It is a different ski that might require some significant adaptation to some skiers but its worth it. I am loving this ski!

• Baller

I've just spent my second day on a 66.5 production ski, I put my front binding on 30" as suggested, fin is as it came, probably10 degree wing angle,

Skied some 28 at 34 to start with, probably felt better at 32, but happy with 28 as well, today I ran the 32 and 35 on first attempt.

I also went and did some passes at 28/36 and really liked the way it came around on the onside, I've got work to do on offside, probably me more so than the ski.

Very impressed with the first few sets. I'm reluctant to adjust anything, it seems to be doing a great job as is!

Custom ski....My 66.5 arrived yesterday, I've had two sets to date . The first set was full of apprehension, I'm not good with change, so changing a ski is a fair issue for me. So I free skied two passes then ran 28 off's with few issues. If I made a mistake the ski kind of dealt with it and got on with its job of getting to the other side? Never got into a buoy hunt.

Second set today, I felt much more relaxed and ran 6 x 28 off the dock. I am at the top of the 'funnel' in terms of tuning, so no rush, just reflect, take advice from the Adams and enjoy.

I left the lake with the biggest grin ever! (1 ball was unreal, offside for me being RFF. It turned, 'angled' and went. I was at the buoy line waiting for 2 while my mind was still processing 1! )

Is it fast? (No,) it gets you where you need to be at the right time ,= cross course speed. I think that is because it doesn't shut down through the turn so you do not have the extremes of acceleration (de-), so no load. In terms of exercise I felt a bit short changed!

I am going to enjoy this journey!

• Baller

@roberto very true. There are times I thought I didn't have line tension in time...so normally would be late but the ski keeps running so I didn't actually lose ground. Pick up line tension by the wash and because the ski is running fast no slack hit...just a pick up of the line. I think this is why it's easy on the body, too.

Enjoy, and be ready for a few mind blowing moments.

Buoy count thus far not up to my best, but big fun factor. Some of the buoy count is likely lost season 2 years ago for neck surgery, skiing like a folding lawn chair last season prior to back surgery...and a few years older. Will see as season progresses. I've had a lot of water time so have to think one of the next surges forward in the ebb/flow of the season could be cool and rip off some 38's.

6 balls....Thanks, I had that moment today.

I discussed set 2 with the management, they gave me some concise instruction which was duly applied.

Unbelievable! As our fearless leader described in the review....It was a joy to ride! Both sides equal, space both sides equal, no load just a gentle squeeze and wait, and wait for the next ball.

Normally after 3 sets I would need to take a few days break. At 57 I have enjoyed 30 years of slalom, for the record....my ambition out weighs my talent, but I love this sport. I was close to giving up this year as physically last season hurt me with the wrong choice of ski.

We don't have endless resource, with a 4 year old daughter to spoil, we balance our family finance to make sure we have the funds to give her the best opportunity and as active older parents enjoy our sports. ( If you think skiing is expensive, buy a horse!). Pressing the buy button on the Denali site was a big moment and a decision not taken lightly. Never seen one, never skied one, don't know anyone who owns one.

With the set I had today I know I their is so much more potential. I am only touching the surface. I don't ache, I haven't watched Cindrella/snow white/madagascar on the sofa all afternoon with my daughter to hide my issues! I plan to ski tomorrow.

I am not sure I will ever use its potential, but with my cumulative experience, I know I can say I am so looking forward to this journey! Massive fun today, now I have rough cut the settings the plan is to cut some rope. For those not sure....just do it...the support from the Adams is fantastic. Keep an open mind, be prepared for something very different!

• Baller
@roberto your right about the horses. My ex was into horses, not sure if I was happier to see her go or the horses. I'd be well on my way to retirement if I had all the money back I spent on those animals.

• Baller

It starts with a Pony when your Daughter is young. Next comes the riding lessons. Then you have the first horse for riding English, but wait, we need another horse for Western. Then as they get older of course you have to have another one for jumping. But the final blow is the Horse for Dressage. Those Baby's are really expensive. Plus don't leave out the Horse Trailer with the air conditioned dressing room. All the girls have to have that.

And last but not least, we have to have the 4 Horses at Home. So here comes the Horse Ranch with multiple Pastures, so you can rotate the horses. Oh, and the round pen for training. But wait, your not done yet. We have to have a Motor Home to go to the events in, and everybody in Texas has a 40 foot diesel pusher with slide outs.

I never want to see a Horse again as long as I live.

• Baller

@Ed_Johnson

Seriously I could have bought a new boat every year and a new ski every month for what those horses cost. My ex was into Cutting. Saddles $2k min, horse trailer, diesel truck to pull it, and the training, what we complain about is nothing.

Ed......You have just documented my life! My 4 year old now has a pony. My wife competes at international level (Eventing) her last competition was in Ireland. Those five days of equestrian pleasure cost more than my Denali......You know my pain!

Any how Ballers I have just committed a crime.

Set 4 on my Denali I have just murdered 32 off.

Ed......You have just documented my life! My 4 year old now has a pony. My wife competes at international level (Eventing) her last competition was in Ireland. Those five days of equestrian pleasure cost more than my Denali......You know my pain!

Any how Ballers I have just committed a crime.

Set 4 on my Denali I have just murdered 32 off.

• Baller_

Hmmm.. Still talkn equestrian on a waterski site on a thread marked Denali. Let me try again to pull this back.

My 2016 Denali experience this weekend at a tournament was to run 4@38...

on a Denali...

Ya know, a waterski..

this year...

here on BallOfSpray...

NOT BallOfHay...

Ok, I've done all I can.

• Baller_

Hmmm.. Still talkn equestrian on a waterski site on a thread marked Denali. Let me try again to pull this back.

My 2016 Denali experience this weekend at a tournament was to run 4@38...

on a Denali...

Ya know, a waterski..

this year...

here on BallOfSpray...

NOT BallOfHay...

Ok, I've done all I can.

Wish.......great result!

And a brilliant suggestion, my wife can set Ball of Hay up!

Got it...No more horse.

"Set 4 on my Denali I have just murdered 32 off". I wasn't feeling like skiing today, in fact the conditions were not great, so it was all a bit apathetic. Now I understand what Mr Horton was saying about being to aggressive to the first wake. I just pointed in the direction I wanted to go and kept a tight line. Thanks John, lesson learnt. My goodness this ski made it feel easy.

Wish.......great result!

And a brilliant suggestion, my wife can set Ball of Hay up!

Got it...No more horse.

"Set 4 on my Denali I have just murdered 32 off". I wasn't feeling like skiing today, in fact the conditions were not great, so it was all a bit apathetic. Now I understand what Mr Horton was saying about being to aggressive to the first wake. I just pointed in the direction I wanted to go and kept a tight line. Thanks John, lesson learnt. My goodness this ski made it feel easy.

• Baller

I've skied short and deep all season thus far. However, in the interest of science, I pulled my plate on the Denali, moved it forward and asked Cord for some totally new settings. He asked if I wanted to go "all in". Yep. Went to:

30.25 (was 29.75)

2.45/2.43

11 degrees

Long and shallow instead of short and deep, with more wing. Skied a day and it felt pretty good. Better than my long-deep settings, but I stuck the tip on my offside a few times. Decided to keep my chest up approaching the ball. Fixed it, but I wanted a tuning solution too. Cord suggested the following changes to get rid of the tip sticking:

2.445/2/425

Skied those this morning in a crappy head tail on my public lake course. However, the tip did not stick, and the ski went through my offside turns with great consistency and pace at 32 off and 35 off. Of course, I still kept my chest up, which is just good skiing anyway!

After set one I got in the boat and talked with my driver/coach. She said I had slack at 1/3/5 (offside), in particular at 35 off. I agreed. I was soaking up the line with my elbows, then letting it out. Still running passes, but not optimal when you get to the next line! Translation -- I was faster than the boat when I was turning back in. Early speed good, late speed bad! Either I was generating too much speed, was generating speed too late, or both.

Went back in the lake for set two. I shortened my pull distance and made a deliberate and complete edge change starting at CL/second wake. In other words, for me I was changing earlier, and not riding the flat surface at all. Just moving from pulling edge to turning edge in one fluid movement.

The results of this effort were very good. I was able to run easy 35s with no slack and no slow down. 1/3/5 were smooth and fast, and 2/4 were sharp and fast. I was comfortably ahead of the course with confidence and a tight line. Worked equally well head and tail wind. I may be a convert to long and shallow after all my years of short and deep. Hoping for good conditions so I can go shorter.

• Baller

I've skied short and deep all season thus far. However, in the interest of science, I pulled my plate on the Denali, moved it forward and asked Cord for some totally new settings. He asked if I wanted to go "all in". Yep. Went to:

30.25 (was 29.75)

2.45/2.43

11 degrees

Long and shallow instead of short and deep, with more wing. Skied a day and it felt pretty good. Better than my long-deep settings, but I stuck the tip on my offside a few times. Decided to keep my chest up approaching the ball. Fixed it, but I wanted a tuning solution too. Cord suggested the following changes to get rid of the tip sticking:

2.445/2/425

Skied those this morning in a crappy head tail on my public lake course. However, the tip did not stick, and the ski went through my offside turns with great consistency and pace at 32 off and 35 off. Of course, I still kept my chest up, which is just good skiing anyway!

After set one I got in the boat and talked with my driver/coach. She said I had slack at 1/3/5 (offside), in particular at 35 off. I agreed. I was soaking up the line with my elbows, then letting it out. Still running passes, but not optimal when you get to the next line! Translation -- I was faster than the boat when I was turning back in. Early speed good, late speed bad! Either I was generating too much speed, was generating speed too late, or both.

Went back in the lake for set two. I shortened my pull distance and made a deliberate and complete edge change starting at CL/second wake. In other words, for me I was changing earlier, and not riding the flat surface at all. Just moving from pulling edge to turning edge in one fluid movement.

The results of this effort were very good. I was able to run easy 35s with no slack and no slow down. 1/3/5 were smooth and fast, and 2/4 were sharp and fast. I was comfortably ahead of the course with confidence and a tight line. Worked equally well head and tail wind. I may be a convert to long and shallow after all my years of short and deep. Hoping for good conditions so I can go shorter.

• Baller

First set ran 28,32, and four 33.5's(custom rope).

Opened second set at 33.5 off, then ran 35 headwind, then 35 tailwind, then back longer for technical work.

Seemed if I open just a bit to the boat, then I can take more angle and be both wider and earlier. If I'm too closed that same angle doesn't work out as well. I want to work on this a bit as I was well wide on the 35 off passes which was pretty cool.

• Baller

First set ran 28,32, and four 33.5's(custom rope).

Opened second set at 33.5 off, then ran 35 headwind, then 35 tailwind, then back longer for technical work.

Seemed if I open just a bit to the boat, then I can take more angle and be both wider and earlier. If I'm too closed that same angle doesn't work out as well. I want to work on this a bit as I was well wide on the 35 off passes which was pretty cool.