How do you test a new ski?

Wish

• Baller_

With all the seemingly great skis out again this year, it makes it tough to decide. Try before you buy is always the way to go and if you can try several all the better. So how do you test skis? Do you stay at certain rope lengths? Do you play with ZO settings? Do you stick to a certain number of passes? I could go on and on with veriables to answer but looking more for your personal dealings with new skis and test rides.

PS...no I'm not looking. Actually did a little something on my Denali this morning that lead me to see what people do. I think this could be a very useful thread and am hoping to learn a thing or two.

• Baller_
Set it up to stock, ride it. If it feels good, take it to 35 to see how it feels. If it feels bad, get out and move bindings or fin, depending on issue. Toss it as far as you can off the dock if it dont feel good after a few sets.

• Baller_

I run back to back passes when trying something new. If I get within a few buoys of "normal" and it feels right, it has potential. If either of those are off, I'm done with that ski.

Changing other variables (ZO settings, bindings, drivers) is a really bad idea and will prevent you from getting a good feel if that ski is for you or not.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_
@Bruce_Butterfield not sure on ZO settings. Would have been with you on that a yr ago and was on C1 with my HO S2. Proto type Denali became A2 hands down. Production Denali, back to C1. If I had not changed or played with settings, I would have never discovered either skis potential.

• Baller_
Yea I mount up a new ski with my current bindings, free ski it, make any adjustments then try it out on the course. If it works all the better if not then back on what does work until the next new fangled doo-hickie comes along..

• Baller_
Yea I mount up a new ski with my current bindings, free ski it, make any adjustments then try it out on the course. If it works all the better if not then back on what does work until the next new fangled doo-hickie comes along..

• Baller
One thing I learned over summer testing a range of different skis and setups is that new is not always better. Don't be afraid to back track onto some of your older equipment from time to time, you might be surprised. And don't blindly follow the pack, its all about what works for you.

• Baller
One thing I learned over summer testing a range of different skis and setups is that new is not always better. Don't be afraid to back track onto some of your older equipment from time to time, you might be surprised. And don't blindly follow the pack, its all about what works for you.

• Baller
Personally I don't push it down the line unless it feels really good right away...I'm cautious and try to learn it a little first and get comfy with what to expect from it. Change is harder for me than most others historically. I'm a bit envious of the skiers who just go out on an unfamiliar stick and march down the line easily.

• Baller
Personally I don't push it down the line unless it feels really good right away...I'm cautious and try to learn it a little first and get comfy with what to expect from it. Change is harder for me than most others historically. I'm a bit envious of the skiers who just go out on an unfamiliar stick and march down the line easily.

• Baller
I don't think any ski will "get me more buoys" if I'm not a good enough skier. It is also difficult to test, because typically the first time I'm on a ski it feels pretty darned good (the honeymoon). I think because I ski a little less aggressively first time on a new stick. As I get more aggressive, they all start to have similarities, and my same old problems show up. I think I could ski the same score on 6-7 different sticks and like them all for different reasons.

• Baller
I don't think any ski will "get me more buoys" if I'm not a good enough skier. It is also difficult to test, because typically the first time I'm on a ski it feels pretty darned good (the honeymoon). I think because I ski a little less aggressively first time on a new stick. As I get more aggressive, they all start to have similarities, and my same old problems show up. I think I could ski the same score on 6-7 different sticks and like them all for different reasons.

• Baller
One of the best things about testing skis is feeling something different than what we are used to. I often go back to my previous ski and tweak the set up. "Man if I could get my onside to come around more like it did on that test ski..."

• Baller
One of the best things about testing skis is feeling something different than what we are used to. I often go back to my previous ski and tweak the set up. "Man if I could get my onside to come around more like it did on that test ski..."

• Baller_
@icewebdan about your only option is to buy it, test it and if you do not like it repost it on Ski It Again and hope sell it for what you paid. Odds are you will be close and could even make a little...or lose a little. Won't be free or fast but it will get you through some skis.