Looking for a few quick tips..

Justin

• Baller
To start off I don't have any video right now but hoping I'll get some helpful little nuggets on here. I know my form is suspect, but I am having a hard time keeping my speed through the turn and getting hit when I reconnect with the boat. It happens mostly at the end of my offside turns, I can't seem to stop cranking the turn and losing speed, then getting hit and launched across the wakes. How do I maintain speed through the offside turn and reconnect with the handle without stalling or even stopping at the end of my turn? I never experience this on my onside. My average pass level is into 32' off at 34mph, but this happens from 22' off up the line. Could it be a fin adjustment as well? Any insight would be appreciated.

• Baller

Hits come from a few causes: Slack, too much tip engagement, or too much smear angle. The root cause of those items are many. Can you determine which of the above three causes is most often present in your off-side turn? This answer will determine what corrective action to take.

Preemptive/presumptive technique suggestion: As the turn finishes think about moving your body slightly ahead in the direction you want to continue going. Think about a sprint runner starting from a set of starting blocks. That runner is leaning his or her center of mass (COM) ahead of his feet so as to accelerate in the forward direction. At the apex of the turn, you are basically in the starting blocks and wanting to begin moving in the direction towards the boat's center-line and over to the other side of the wakes. Thus, you want to move your COM just a little ahead of your ski in that direction.

The opposite and undesirable action is to move away from the center-line with your COM. This would look like rearing back on the ski. This rearing back will basically "stall" the ski and stop its inbound speed.

When I think about the second half of the turn as a process of acceleration which should flow in the direction of the center-line (like a runner leaving starting blocks), I end up with less of a hit, more stacked, and an earlier line to the other side.

• Baller
I will get some video posted soon, although I am terrified to post it on here! It does feel like the tip is biting now that I think about it. I forgot to mention I am on a 68'' Vapor Alloy, no wing. Not 100% on my current settings, close to stock.

• Baller
This happens to me if I don't stand tall through my offside. Ski setup can make it better (or worse). Also in my if your getting into 32off you should use a wing. It could be something happening out of you onside turn even causing you to come in narrow and fast.

• Baller
If the tip is biting on your offside, and you feel that you not improperly going forward on the ski, then a bit less fin length should help. Now that just based on your description of what you feel. Sometimes what you feel is far from what is actually happening.