EX 343 oil capacity

Steveo

• Baller
In all my years of changing my oil I have always done 5 qts and a filter. I recently read an older thread, SN 200 burning oil, in which PCM advised 4qts with filter and then adding 5ozs or so at a time until level is at full mark. A friend recently had her 2011 200 with the Ex 343 at the dealer for repair. While there the oil was changed and according to the repair order 6 qts were used. Was anything different in 2011? 4 1/2, 5, 6 which is it?

• Baller
The manual says 4.75 for my 2011 EX 343 5.7 but it always takes 5. I still put 4.5 then add, just in case, but always 5. No way to get 6 in there without being way, way over. Perhaps they used the 6th elsewhere due to the repair? Or just charged her for a little extra profit. Ask them, see what they say.

• Baller_

Excalibur engines after draining off old oil we fill the new filter and install, pour in 4 quarts, run engine with boat as level as possible. shut off let stand 5 min and add 6 oz at a time till full on dipstick.

PCM Recommends 15w-40 motor oil.

• Baller

Maybe a different thread but I figured I'd ask.

I have a 2015 200 with the 6 litre. The previous owner swore by Royal Purple synthetic (and thats whats in there right now). I'm getting all kinds of advice on synthetic versus regular Rotella. I've also been told by one dealer that if you run synthetic in anything else except the supercharged motor you'll void the warranty..........but another dealer says it doesn't matter. The owners manual appears to be silent. Any advice on separating fact from fiction?

• Baller

I have a 2015 200 with a 5.7L engine. Oil requirements are spelled out on page 28 of the PCM owner's manual. It says synthetic engine oils may be used in PCM Marine Engines. ... It further says that Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30 is required in the XS550/XR550. It also says that PCM Engines reserves the right to refuse warranty on part(s) and/or engine(s) damaged by using improper fuels and engine oils.

Based on PCM's manual, synthetic oil is NOT an improper oil.

• Baller_
On the topic of amount of oil, it is important not to overfill the crankcase. Too much oil can lead to the oil level being high enough that the rotating crank whips the oil and creates both a froth (aerated oil) and excessive heat. Frothy oil has less lubricating ability so not a good mix. Make sure you have the correct dipstick and fill to correct level.

• Baller
@oldjeep I am not sure, but PCM engines at least in Nautiques sit very low and close to the bilge floor. Theoretically this would lower the center of gravity and improve stability against skiers pulling from the side. It would make sense that PCM would use a shallower oil pan (therefore smaller). I really don't know - I'm just thinking out loud - but engines in other brands of boats do seem to sit higher leaving more room for a larger oil pan.

• Baller_

I replace a number of oil pans because we do have brackish/salt water boats in this area. the only difference I see from early to late model pans are some have pan baffles (non Vortec) and some have the baffle attached to the main caps (vortec). pans seem to be identical from PCM to Indmar however dip sticks vary from marinizer to marinizer as each have to rout them differently around their manifolds and accoutrements . So my theory is that each marinizer utilize their own dip sticks and make oil volume to there own specifications. Again engine angle play's into this ideology also.