Hardshell Binding HELP needed

bdmz

• Baller

Hi,

Heres my story; any help appreciated! On the first day of 10 day Vermont lake vacation, put my 3 year old fluid motion hardshell on my new RADAR Vapor (deliverd today--thanks Perf Ski and Surf) and promptly cracked the shell at the seam line on my second turn...so now I am looking for a hardshell option for the rest of the week. Any options close to central Vermont (as its friday night of July 4th weekend)??? Reflex, Fluid Motion or other would be great. size xl, right foot forward. I looked on the Reflex website and they have a delaer in Saranac Lake, but no idea if they are open tomorrow.

BTW, the Radar felt great for about 9 seconds!

Thanks in advance

• Baller

H2Oproshop.com is in New York somewhere, might be the dealer your looking at. They are great.

I've seen a shell someone had done a temp fix on by drilling holes and used wire to hold it together so they could complete a tournament. Maybe epoxy something over it first.

• Baller

See if you can buy a high end replacement. Reflex should be compatible. Adjust the release to the new shell. Demo something if you can.

Hopefully you have some tools. Find an old rollerblade. You'll probably have to find a used sporting goods store to find a plastic boot. Cut off the wheels (non trivial, I use a grinder but a drill or sawzall can work. Use what is on hand.) Bolt a block on the heel (salvage the thick plastic from the wheels -carefully bend it over the stove - or cannibalize the old boot). Adjust the silveretta as needed. That might get you by until the new boot you order arrives.

Caution, used skates can have very brittle plastic. Save all the clips as these are the first to break.

Who knows, you might like the new shell better.

Another possibility is to pop rivet or bolt a plastic repair on your old shell. Again, the plastic from an old rollerblade might be a good patch material. Adjust the release tension as the patch might change things.

Or buy a Radar boot from the marina. I kinda like the low end Radar boot (vice?) and the marina might stock one.

Sucks to have the weekend ruined but hopefully you can salvage some fun.

Eric

Edit. @gregy has another great idea. Lots of hardware stores have safety wire. Vice grips spin the wires tight. Temporary fix. Cover the sharp ends with tape.

• Baller
H2Oproshop has great service and is a Reflex dealer. Daggett lake doesn't really have a pro shop. You can drilling holes in either side of crack and "stitching" it together with zip ties, then epoxy over the crack. That might get you through vacation.