Reflex release snapping?!?!

emartski10

• Baller

Smooth out that toe side flip!

That's not a rare failure. A bit more common in saltwater. There's been some corrosion in all that I've seen.

The last few times I've looked, I haven't found replacement Silveretta clips on ebay. Maybe that was my problem - used up parts to start with. But everybody got reasonable service out of the bindings. The binding system does need a fair amount of maintenance.

The bigger problem was the shin damage from the releases.

Eric

• Baller
I never had it happen but have seen some 404's break right there, where the weld for the cross bar is. But that's a very old release mechanism, discontinued by Reflex years ago. There was the 500 and now the 750, which has been out for quite some time. My understanding is they purchased the rights for the 750 and make it or have it made themselves. Supposed to have some improvements for water application. Perhaps time to upgrade?

• Baller

It have broken 3 404s over the years, moved to 400 and stopped having this issue. In the 404 the cross bar is welded on the bend part of the arms and the metal is weaken, on the 400 the cross bar is welded higher above the curve making it much harder to brake.

FM sell them or eBay.

You can always move to 750 as most of the people here would suggest, but with the older Silvretta models I never had a pre/sudden release even when one arm was broken,

Alex

• Baller

@lcgordon you can not reweld it, it would not hold, I buy them on eBay.de during alpine ski season,

I have a 404 in near new condition, no water use no rust, but I live in Greece, I can send it to you for $50 + shipping but I suggest you find a 400. It would not break and you might find it at a lower price

• Baller

Search on ebay for Silveretta. I knew where it broke before I opened the thread. The 404s have a weak spot there where the weld is and it can tend to rust.

The newer 500 series don't have the weld but you need to change where the block is mounted on the back of your boot.

• Baller

I have never tried to modify a 404 boot to fit a 500/750 release, but I have gone the other way several times. If the boot has the large rectangular block on the heal, the rivets need to be drilled out and the block flipped over. The 2 outside holes are reused and a new hole is drilled in the boot for the middle hole on the block. Re-rivet the block and it should work.

Of course, you need to test the release mechanism on dry land before relying on it on the water.

I had 4 404 releases on two trick skis over the years...Broke 3 in about 1.5 years...(I weigh 165 and don't do any aerials). Gave up on it and went to the 500...over 4 yrs later same 500 and many releases...no troubles now....I did lose the whole 404 on one of the breaks...must be a poor piece of hardware....

• Baller
I don't think the 404 is necessarily a poor piece of hardware it is just a very old design now and the manufacturing techniques when it was designed did leave it with a potential weak spot. It also wasn't designed for water skiing it was designed for snow ski backcountry touring.

• Baller

I read the 404 had that known weak spot and that is the reason they redesigned to the 500. I also read there is a difference of a few millimeters in height, so the rear block had to be moved. That's good info from @Kelvin , that you can just flip the block, I had never heard that.

I've been on 750's for 2+ years and zero issues. Love my #Reflexskis boot system. What size boot and what FF? I've got an extra XXL (12) setup. Carbon Plate, Intuition Liner, Right FF Black Boot, and 750 Release.