handle diameter

Ski_Dad

• Baller

I need to get a new handle - just have a cheap one right now and seems to be about 1" diameter - i felt my friends Masterline .94 handle last night and it had great grip and felt good. My hands take a size large glove - would a .94 be appropriate for me ?

My hands are pretty long (not so wide but that doesn't really apply to handle diameter, and I don't know what size glove I use). I use a .96" x 1.15" elliptical handle from Connelly that fits my hand well. It may be slightly small if your hands are really large, but roughly 1" diameter or (larger or a little smaller like the .94) seems to be the average handle size and should work well. I like the amount of grip I can get around it. You don't want your fingertips digging into your palm around the handle... but you also want to get enough grip enclosing the handle. In the end, it's up to you... if you thought your friend's handle was perfect or a little small?

• Baller

@Mitzysman if you wear a size large glove a 1" or smaller is too small IMO. I personally like a smaller handle so I can feel it more in my fingertips, but most are going larger and feel they are less fatigued from them.

I'd look at a 1.062 masterline custom.

• Baller
Whatever feels best to you, however I would tend to believe that with large size gloves you would want a 1" or slightly larger. I think Masterline has a 1.062 also. Sometimes it's good to rotate sizes to avoid blisters and elbow pain.

There are trade offs and it is to personal preference.

Smaller diameter is easier to hold on to, but tears up the hands more. Larger takes more grip, but easier on the hands.

I use a 1.062 with medium gloves.

• Baller
I wear a medium glove and use a 1.0 handle. My primary ski partner wears a large and uses the same size. It is somewhat a personal preference thing and depends on where in your fingers you hold the handle. More in the fingers smaller more in the palm larger.

• Baller

Thanks guys for the advice :smile: There are not many shops near me in Ohio - would the be nice to try a few sizes.

for the open water skier like me is there any major advantage to the masterline custom handle vs say the monster or performance ? I know the custom one has more sizes but not sure if anything else I would notice.

• Baller

I use L in Radar gloves and S in ML gloves.

Prefer 1" monster handle for slalom.

The extra stiffer plastic protect my pinky finger to be 'nibbled' by the handle.

Edit. I forgot to mention that I use Clincher gloves and then you perceive the handle to be smaller.

So I guess 1" with clinches are more like 1.1 without Clinchers.

Depends on how you hold the handle as well. I wear a medium glove (tight fit) and use a small diameter Masterline 12" handle (0.94" or 0.92"), I think. I try to hold the handle predominantly in my fingertips. So this works best for me. Anything larger doesn't work for me.

• Baller
@Oldboyll Are the Masterline Custom and Monster Team handles the same quality? I assumed the Custom was higher quality and would therefore last longer just because it was more expensive. I'd love to have wrongly assumed this and be able to pay less for my next handle.

• Baller

@TallSkinnyGuy

My skiing experience is not enough to make conclusions out of practice.

I try to compensate lack of skiing life with logic and knowledge.

Neither Monster nor Custom cannot be ruined by load force whoever skier is. Both can stand a ton of load.

All broken handles I met were worn in triangle area by upper ski edge during water start.

I ruined two handles by NanoXT before understood the reason.

So logically Monster should last longer because it has more protection in triangle area.

Pro and experts may have more criterias for choosing handle, lifespan of the rope is probably not their priority No.1

When I said about saving money with 1" handle I only meant that there are much more options for selection because lot of cheaper yet good quality handles are made only 1" diameter.

I regret about this because my diameter is not more than 0,94" :'(

Therefore I now bought Carbon Custom and I firmly believe that it will last forever :D

• Baller
My ski partner has a custom and I have a monster team. Got them about the same time, we ski the same amount to sets and they seem to have similar wear. However he skis a lot shorter lines than I do, so maybe more load would equal more wear?? Doubt it though. I think the team is the better buy for you money. The custom carbon is pretty pricey at $129. Before you buy Masterline, check with @jdarwin for his price.

• Baller

It is not a difficult task to restring a handle.

All what you need is surgical clamp like this

http://www.ua.all.biz/img/ua/catalog/2083062.jpeg

and about one hour of time.

The main problem is get that quality rope which handle makers use.

Though making handle of nonstandard lenth for recreational use from cheap ski rope is an easy job.