Z box speed problems

Ilivetoski

• Baller

We have been running z box on our 04 LXi all summer and it hasn't quite been ZO but it's been good. Until lately we have had issues with it in a couple different spots.

1- comes into the course fast, 38 mph is not unusual (zbox is set to 36)

2- slow 2 and 3 every single pass @ 36. Every other buoy is fine, but I feel it gassing me out of 3 trying to make time back up and then that ruins any chance I have of making a decent 4 ball. Any thoughts?

• Baller
You need to statt with the basic troubleshooting, linkage test, voltage test, servo motor phase test. Go to PP website and the troubleshooting page. Oh, check that you have a strong enough return spring. Of course you need to check your baselines also. When all of the above is taken care of then we can start talk about background settings.

We found that if you over throttle going towards the course, it takes a while for PP to settle in. Suggest you take care not to over-speed. If you go in hot, the one and three ball times will be slow the the balance will be fast to make the end actual.

Also, make sure you input crew weight and use the correct skier setting, we use featherweight, then select your Alpha numeric ZO selection. Works great for us on a short setup with a 99 SN with a variety of skiers weight and some varied skill levels.

• Baller
@Chuck_Dickey It is not entirely GPS, it still needs input to rpm parameters like skier weight, crew adjust and calibrated baselines. My uneducated guess is that PP is prohibited by patent laws to make it work excactly like ZO.

• Baller
@live2ski, here is a thread I started in 2012 about this type of problem. Ignore the FAE references since it was a red herring and read down to the chart tables that I had to adjust. This cured all of the assymetry times and speeds for all the bouys in the course for me. http://forum.ballofspray.com/discussion/6589/is-your-stargazer-going-wonky-technical-term hope it helps.

There is a mode where you can adjust one ball, three ball, and end course times. I spent some time dialing this in as part of the calibration with the Z'box off( don't think it matters). Sometimes it is set so the three ball time is always fast, or one ball is slow, etc. It just needs a little tweaking. Look at the troubleshooting videos at perfectpass.com

• Baller

@colo_skier - Thanks for sharing! We've been dealing with these issues but haven't played with settings. Once Regionals & Nationals are over we'll give the z-box some attention. Sticking to the ZO boats between now and then.

• Baller

@colo_skier - only skiing Regionals but serving as chief driver for a guy in our group who will be at Nationals skiing all three.

Looking forward to messing with the Z-Box once thats all over now that we have some settings to try. As a bigger guy I've been extremely frustrated with he boat running away after 1 ball. Hopefully we get it dialed in before the end of this year.