Personal best and oldest age

ToddF

• Baller

This year, at age 63, in May, Kris LaPoint ran 2 @ 41off (10.25m). 34 mph in MM.

Back when he was skiing at 36 mph, he ran 3 @ 39 in May 2009 at the Miami site.

Age 56. That score may challenge what his best was back in his "prime".

• Baller_

You have many PBs left. I am still setting mine and I'm 50 (almost 51).

A little history. I took a handful of lessons on the course over a couple summers in the early 1990s and skied a public course over 2 summers in the late 90s. Then, I didn't return to the course until 2007 at age 41. I hadn't used a speed control system, was still on my circa-1980 EP Super 2 and had to adjust to the new skis (Goode 9100) and boat pull. I didn't run any course passes for a while, then progressed back to -15 and beyond. By 2010, I was running -22 and getting a couple at -28. Entered my first tournament that fall and got 5 at -22 in 50 degree weather with 45 mph sustained winds.

I ran -32 last year for the first time in practice and repeated. This year, I've done it multiple times and have gotten around 3 at -35 once in practice. My tournament PB for 34 mph remains 3 at -32.

Also last year, just before I turned 50, I decided to enter some tournaments as IM to record some scores at 36 mph (since I never competed at an age where that was the speed). I got 5 at -28 at 36 mph as my best official tournament score - so far. In practice, I've run -28 at 36 multiple times and have gotten halfway down -32 at 36 multiple times. I'll be doing a few tournaments as IM each year to try to run that 28.

I believe there is more in the tank for me - at both 34 and 36 mph. I see, @Orlando76, that you are a couple years from switching max speed from 36 to 34, so my examples are for both speeds.

Around Michigan, I see skiers in their late 50s getting halfway through -38. There is one skier who is just about to switch down to 32 mph after Nationals and who has been deep into -38, has run -38 and a couple at -39 a few times, and is a repeating national champ in M6. I seem to recall he did not even start skiing the course until nearly age 40. We have a very short season here and, if these guys can get those scores, someone skiing an extended season in Florida or California or Texas, etc. certainly has the opportunity to do so.

Keep at it.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Nothing like the skier @MISkier described, but I ran 35 @34mph for a PB when I was 63. Now at 32mph and 69 years old I have a practice PB of 2 1/2 at 38 and tournament best of 1 1/2 at 38. I've run more 35's in practice this year than all of last year, but none in a tournament. So, my 32 PB came at age 68. I too, started skiing the course at 40.

• Baller
I think you can keep moving the number up. Trick is (a) committing to conditioning and (b) committing to continuing to improve technically. Like @MS, I'll be 53 in a couple of weeks. I still plan on moving the bar by several buoys before I start the long slide toward increasing mediocrity.

• Baller

First complete pass: 6 @ 28 mph long line - 1976, 18 yo

6 @ 34 mph LL - later in 1976

No course access except one week at Suyderhoud's in '77, no real improvement

6 @ 36 mph, 15 off - 1978

6 @36 mph, 22 off - 1979

injured - 1980

6 @ 36 mph, 28 off - 1981

more injuries and a BS and MS in Geology - 1982 - 1987

6 @36 mph, 32 off - 1987 (finally)

5 @ 36 mph, 35 off - 1991, qualified for first nats

6 @ 36 mph, 35 off (practice) - 1993?, turned 35, slowed down

6 @ 34 mph, 35 off - 1993

2 @ 34 mph, 38 off at 2000 Nationals - tied for 30th or something like that in M3.

6 @ 34 mph, 38 off (practice) - 2002 I know. That was a lot of years of banging away at 38 off, with no success.

2007 - present (the ZO era) - very, very few 35s completed. But...I love skiing, I love working at it, love watching and helping my kids ski. At 58 and getting on a little bigger ski, I'm getting close to getting back into 38. That will be enough.

• Baller

@jimbrake please tell me you have that written down somewhere? No way I could keep track of all that in my head. Nice history.

I am 43 so perhaps on the younger side of this discussion. I have PBs left in me and its that 41 loop not my age holding me back. This year I am the most "ski fit" I have been in my life.

I think most people could improve through 50 yo. I see many improving (technique and scores) well into their 50s. I think guys approaching 60 can improve technique but adding to the all time highest buoy count starts to get hard but not impossible. Some do. I also look at guys like Brad Conger and Jim Kenny who are still pushing the envelope at 72 yo and get inspired. These guys battle at local tournaments at 38 off. Very cool.

• Baller
A Mens 8, 74 yr old ski buddy has steadily improved over the past two seasons. At the start of last season he was getting 2 or 3 at -32. Now he's consistently getting to 2 or 3 at -35. Note last year he switched from a Monza to a '14 Superlite TX

• Baller

I am 60 and I started slalomig 2 years ago on a public lake and I entered 3 tournaments,

2015 - 3 at 28mph

2016 - 3 at 30mph and a month ago 3 at 32mph

And of course my goal is the 6 at 34mph and start shortening the rope. That is why my nickname is Chris55 (55km).I feel I still have some good years to improve as long as I am staying in good shape.

• Baller_

I am continuing to improve because of the following:

1. Access to private water/slalom course

2. Tips/coaching from more advanced ski buddies

3. Time on the water

4. Physical conditioning - kept weight low, maintained strength and endurance

5. This website and others that provided numerous technique discussions and overall education.

I didn't mention equipment, because I essentially overhauled all of it at the same time and started over from nothing in

2007. I'm still skiing on a 9500 and Wiley bindings.

I didn't mention pro coaching because I only recently had some. I'm working on those tips, but hadn't made them consistent enough to leverage their value and advance yet. I think they will be the thing that moves me forward now.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@bishop8950 - nope, all in my head. One of the few things still in there. The biggest deterrent to my improvement in the last 10 years has been my stubborn resistance to find the best set-up in equipment and to just work on me. Constantly "working on me". That will never stop, but I now know that I need to put much more focus on finding the optimum set up. 68 ARC yellow has helped. I feel like a 68.5 or 69 would actually be even better. I have no problem turning a ski. I need speed and support!

@jdarwin - great skiing, man. What got you over the 38 hump finally?

• Baller

I'm 42 and returned to the sport last year. I took 19 years off. I last skied in college having first experienced a slalom course when I was nineteen, but skied recreationally since I was 9 or 10. When I left college I was working on getting consistent at 22 off at 36.

20 years later I'm consistent at 28 off and consistently getting 4 or 5 at 32 off in practice. Both at 34 mph. I just ruptured my Achilles in a dust up at 4 ball so I'm out for the rest of this season, but I plan to keep improving . I think the three keys, not in any particular order.

1. Practice (water time)

2. Coaching

3. Application of technique

For me learning technique that does not rely solely on brute force(something that I am good at) has been the key to skiing better than I did 20 years ago even though I'm 20 years older.

• Baller
One of the more fun things at tourneys for me...given my own PB is unlikely to fall, is watching others set PB's. The big smile, the fist in the air with a big yell is cool. Whether its the first complete pass for someone or an up and comer who destroys a PB by a margin, or someone who squeezes out an extra ball it's all fun.

• Baller
Last year at 48 had a tournament pb of 4.5 @ 38 along with a bunch of 4 @ 38s. Running that pass in a tournament is well within my grasp. Just need to stop being a freak show at 4 ball. Unfortunately I'm out with a broken shoulder this year. So next year at the age of 50 I believe I will be pb-ing again. I know it is due to a lot of the things @MISkier mentioned.

• Baller
At age 34yr my best was 4@38, then dropped to 34mph, at age 40 I ran 1@41, at age 51 I ran 2@39, after a couple of injuries at 62 I ran 5@35. Still trying to get back into -38 this year at age 63. Still love chasing buoys after all these years.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

All of you guys in their fifties (52 here) and running deep 38 are giving me hope to run my first ever 35 off...

9 years since my first 32 off and still stuck at 4.5 @35... :(

Still hoping to PB soon...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller_

One of my buddies a men 8 continues to set the bar higher and has run 38 in practice. as we get older the skis and equipment get better as does the physical conditioning of the older skier. Mike Morgan age 54 still skis in the open men division and maintains a 36 mph open rating.

Old guy's (and Gal's) Rule!!!

• Baller
I am 62, and have my best tournament average this year (average all not just top 3) and in practice ran my 2nd ever 39off. I still think I have room to improve my consistency at 38. A lot depends on you fitness level as you age, and avoiding injury.

Well I suck compared to you guys, but I love my new VTR ( best ski I've ever ridden imho) and I believe I'm skiing technical better than ever and again believe a new PB is in my future. I'm 57 with a shity hip so my water time is limited.

• Baller
36 mph tournament pb was 4@ 32 off last yr in M2. 34 mph pb is 4 @ 38 off at age 50 and for all practical purposes tied at age 57.( rounded 4 @ 38, could have just skied away for the score but opted to try for 5 and popped handle at wake). Now I'm in my last full yr of M5 and hope to tie or better it if all the stars align. Or maybe get a new pb in M6, same boat speed, just have to stay in shape and keep plugging away.

• Baller
Came back at age 48 after 10 years and could not run -22 for the fist 10 sets. That first season I managed to run some -32's but certainly not pretty. Fast forward 3 seasons and I'm running into -38 and last season was able to go off the dock -32 comfortably. There is still more in the tank, skiing keeps me young. Mostly.

• Baller
36yrs old and 3rd year on our portable course. Last time i was in the course before our portable was at age 14 running long line at about 28-30mph. PB this year is 5 @ 32 34mph. Can't seem to get the green gremlin to fall. This thread is an inspiration to keep pushing!